Sachs engine dies when brakes applied

I picked up a 1980 Sachs at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago and I 'm trying to get everything to run. (It looks like http://mopedarmy.com/photos/brand/38/306/ ).

The engine runs fine and the tail light worked, but the brake lights did not. I found that one of the wires at the foot brake switch was disconnected, so I reconnected it. Now, when either the hand or foot brake are applied, the engine dies, as though the kill switch were turned on, and the rear light no longer lights.

The wiring looks very neat and tidy (see pic), and I really don't know where to begin to troubleshoot this. I pulled out the rear light assembly and the same thing happened (engine dies when brakes applied).

Has anyone had this problem, and what was the cause?

Also, any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated.

Thanks.,

Thor

1116867255_img_2266a.jpg

Re: Sachs engine dies when brakes applied

did you check the rear ligh bulb? It sounds like the filament for the brake is burnt out and having it hooked up is causin a short when you operate the brakes.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

http://www.mopedriders.org/> ; Use this link to MRA, click on General moped repair then click on Dempsey moped repair then click on chapter 5 then scroll down to to page 150 and 151. You will find a wiring diagram and written description of a typical lighting system.Hope this helps. Jim

Smitty Smith /

and some of those older wiring systems also had a resistor in the tail light assembly. If you find that the tail light bulb is still good, then check for one of those as well, but as Ray stated, check the bulb first.

I don't agree with your assessment of "nice and tidy" It looks like a huge wad of electrical tape hiding a ton of shorts.

The wiring diagram, or some similar, for this sachs are in the manuals section of the mopedriders.org page.

If you want to see if the short is the taillight, you need to connect a ground from the magneto to the chassis- it should be the black wire from the engine. It may make the motor work, but the brake light probably won't.

With mine, the engine wouldn't work when the bulb was removed, but it would still work when the bulb was blown out and still in there.

As they say, your mileage will vary.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

http://www.mopedriders.org/ Try this link. Jim.

All is fixed, thank you all for your suggestions. The rear lights being disconnected is what did it.

When I tried to remove the rear light lens, I removed the 2 screws and pulled the lens. What came out was the whole assembly, with 3 clean prongs sticking out. I eventually wiggled the lens off the assembly, but then I assumed that there was some kind of connector in the base and I simply reinserted the 3 prongs. It turned out that by removing the assembly that way, the 3 wires with connectors came off of the prongs, and I lost the connection with all the lights.

I reconnected everything and it all works.

Thanks again.

Thor.

Congrats on the new ped. I got the Cady manuals today, thanks. Did you get my email about my (Cady) taillight mystery? It's probably irrelevant since the manuals arrived.

No I didnt' get your email about the Cady taillight mystery, but I got your email about the manual arriving. It didn't take too long.

Thor

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account