Sanding down a bike

Brentus Sioux y Cycle /

I have two bikes that I'm going to clean up in the biggest way, since they are in sludge and rust at the moment. Any suggestions on how to and how not to sand it down? I was using some hard steel wool at first with fine steel wool to clean the excess. I want to sand it all off though so I can prime it over and paint it. Just want to know what type of sanding is good and what is overkill. Anyone?

Re: Sanding down a bike

are you going down to bare metal? If you are there is a can of stuff you can get at Walmart, it is called Aircraft Remover, or Airplane remover or something along those lines, it will tear that spray paint of in no time with no effort, but it will need to sit a little to get through the original paint, but the stuff is awsome, I used it a little today.

It also works great if there is spray paint on chrome, it wipes right off and leaves the chrome looking as it did before the paint.

Jason Luther /

going down to the bare metal isnt nessesary. start with 100 grit paper and work your way up to 150 or 220 depending on the scoring after the rough sand. get all of the imperfections out and prime it (paint hides _nothing_ ) then lightly sand the primer (i use a scotch bright pad) then paint.

If you want to go to bare metal, the easiest way is, sandblasting! It will take off the paint chrome, and everything! I am going to do that to my 69 Puch 250 this summer!

If you don't have access to sand blasting, paint remover will work and an abrasive wheel on a drill will take off rust.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

Leon Swarmer /

Be really careful with paint remover.. it can be deadly stuff.

make sure of adequate ventilation, gloves and goggles.

Is can do nasties in seconds.

Leon

Brentus Sioux y Cycle /

Thanks 50plus! For the first time, I got a really bad case of ventilation problems last week. I got so damn buzzed I felt like I drank a twelve pack. Coordination was horrible, scared to go to sleep, etc. I need more than one fan! You have to take breaks working on bikes. Unfortunately, moped madness sunk in and it almost killed me. Never want to go through that again.

Brentus Sioux y Cycle /

Thanks guys. It's coming along quite decent. Now that I've removed most the paint and anything under it (the stuff ate it alive!!!!!!!), i do see rust spots, as you'll see in this photo. Any suggestions what to do? It seems flat and I've used some fine steel wool on it.

1116974230_shined_cowl2.jpg

You used the stuff outside right? lol It will tear you up if you get too much of it.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

Brentus Sioux y Cycle /

yeah, i went waaaaay outside. last time i used too much cleaner inside i was seeing four or five more mopeds than i own. not good.

Once you complete sanding, I suggest you invest in a couple cans of rust sealer. You can get it at auto stores. It is a clear coat that turns the rust black and seals it agains the air. You could probably use Jasco's Ospho too. It's similar stuff but the can is easier. I used it on my Maxi after being dissatisfied with merely sanding the original coat and stripped the entire bike to bare metal. If you don't do it (depending on where you live) it could rust overnight and you'd be starting all over. I sanded the whole thing to 320 wet and dry, sealed it till I was satisfied with the look and feel, primed it (more than once, sanding wet and dry between each coat), topcoated, sanded etc, then clear coated all. The bike has at least 6 coats on it before buffing.

you might want make one thess its cheaper then buying one on ebay,

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/1/182601/182601/

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account