helicoils

I stripped out one of the threads for the tranny cover and one for a cylender stud. They are both the same size thread but i cannot find helicoild for them. I need size M8 X 1.0. Autozone has these "OEM" kits for $20something, but they have the M8X1.25, my local hardware stores lack a helicoil stock. I found several kits online, but everything was upwards of $50.

I tried making my own inserts by taking a bolt and drilling out the middle so i could tap out the stripped threads to the size of the bolt and the center of the new insert to the size of the bolt, but i broke 3 drill bits and wasted 2 hrs. The only thing it achieved was making a mess.

helicoils and timeserts

by the way, is there a major difference in helicoils and timeserts? One is a wire coil and the other is a cast insert, but does one work better than the other?

Easiest thing ever

I picked up some generic helicoils and let me tell you, it had to be the easiest moped problem fix ever. No blood, sweat, or tears. Just grease everything up, drill the hole, tap the new hole, insert the insert, remove the tang, clean up, and your good to go.

i was definately a bit scarred to take a drill to my motor, but after i did a test on a thread that was not vitally important(flywheel cover), I realized that I had nothing to worry about.

Re: Easiest thing ever

Ancient thread bump!

I first found out about Time Serts from Matthew (Local Heroes) sometime last year. Since then, I've always been lucky enough to catch the last few miracle threads remaining of otherwise useless threads. That, or I've been even luckier to have a replacement part on-hand. But now I have to face reality and replace some threads completely (exhaust threads on a 65cc Puch Metrakit). I won't explain the difference between Helicoil, Time Sert, and all the knock-offs, but if you look into it you'll probably find that Time Serts are ideal. If anything, I just like that it's designed to lock into place so it's less likely to back out when you're removing the stud that it's holding.

Anyway, here's a demo video from timesert.com. So cool... They split the case so you can see how it all works.

also very likely to get stripped at some point (I really like to clamp down the cylinder and get a good seal). Steel threads FTW. I shall certainly report back when I finally get around to trying this.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account