sparky points

Jason Luther /

i discovered today while looking for the source of a rattle that my points spark on my bianchi. it runs great, starts right up, never misfires. i can even hold the wire off of the head about and inch and itll jump. what could be causing this? would a weak condenser cause the points to spark _and_ let the ped run strong? damn, you cant do anything to these machines without opening a can of worms.-jason

Re: sparky points

Did you find the rattle? Sometimes that's a loose magnet in the magneto or a looese magneto.

If they're showing a lot of sparks, it supposed to be caused by a bad condensor or connection to it. Look for something loose inside/behind the magneto. don-ohio (:^D

Don Pflueger /

an engine will run without the condensor, but it will burn up the points fast. a condensor acts as a shock absorber in the electrical system. it soaks up the excess current and discharges it thru the points at a steady even rate. when a condensor goes bad or is removed, the points will arc badly and burn up.

If the sparks between the points are bright enough to be seen in normal light, or (worse yet) can be heard - then the condenser or its leads are bad.

It's easy enough to make a tester. Just find a good ignition condenser - any ignition condenser will work (off a motorcycle, old car, etc) - and attach some alligator clip leads to it.

Clip the case of the condenser to the engine case (ground), and the wire lead to the wiring for the moving contact on the points. Basically, attach it in parallel with the questionable condenser.

If the sparks go away, you need a new condenser. Simple as that. Note that this will not test for a shorted condenser, which would normally prevent the engine from running at all.

Jason Luther /

thanks for the info guys. i guess i have a new project for the weekend. my wife will be soooo happy ;)

Jason Luther /

by the way. i think the rattle might be the conrod small end needle bearings. they are intact and everything, but there seems to be a tiny amount of play. any suggestions? the manual pretty much says the play shouldnt be more than specified. except it doesnt specify. its a morini mo-1.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account