"Starter" Cable?

The "starter" cable on my 77 Puch Maxi isw frayed and broken (it's the cable for the small lever under the LH brake lever - the one you pull, then peddle, then release to get the bike running).

Is this cable the same as the brake cables? Or is it a specifc cable with a special end piece...

I'm trying to order one from mopedwarehouse, but not sure if I just need anotehr brake cable.

Thanks.

Rolly

Re: "Starter" Cable?

Don Pflueger /

you can use brake cables, but you may need a piece called a knarp on the end if the original cable has a special end. knarps can be bought from any bicycle shop, some hardware stores, and some auto parts stores. does your cable run to the cylinder head or to an arm on the top of the engine case?

It runs to an arm on the top of the cylinder.

The end piece looks like a small cylinder that fits into a groove in the end of the arm.

Thanks.

Rolly

Don Pflueger /

you may be able to use a bicycle brake cable with a knarp. wal mart is the cheapest place to buy bicycle cables and any bike shop has knarps. or mopedwarehouse should have it. even www.ikesbikes.com will have that cable. it is a decompression cable that you need.

Actually, that doesn't sound like a decompression cable--I wasn't aware that Puch even used decompression valves in any models they made. It's the clutch cable, that manually engages the clutch when you pedal so that the engine turns over.

Don Pflueger /

well, he said it was mounted to the cylinder head, not the engine case. clutch cables are never mounted to the cylinder head.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account