Am I using a Voltometer correctly?

I wanted to test the output power of my Moped's magento. It's a 6 volt system therefore the Voltometer should read 6 volts. I hooked one wire up the the cable (the one thats hooked up to the sprakplug) and I grounded the other one up the the Engine Block. My brother pedeled on the bike and it maxed out no more than 0.5 volts. Am I measuring the voltage correctly? Because if you think about it, the wire keeps producing surges of electricity and Im wondering, because its a surge of electricity not a flow(Like a battery) maybe I'm niot testing it right.

Re: Am I using a Voltometer correctly?

Steve,

I think your problem is that you're hooking your positive lead to the spark plug wire. The spark plug gets a high-voltage pulse. You need to hook one wire to ground (like you're doing) and the other to the positive terminal on your headlight or horn.

Batteries are DC. Magnetos produce AC (alternating current), and the amount of voltage varies with RPM.

If i hook a volt meter to my tail light and rev the engine, voltage will vary from about 8 to near 30 volts.

If there is a rectifier in the circuit, it will help chop and flatten the AC to something resembling DC.. but you won't ever see anything like the flat, steady current a battery delivers.

I had the same problem as Steve here, and had the voltage tested by a mechanic friend. Maybe he didn't know what he was doing in this case because I got results like Steve's. Can I still test voltage if my light bulbs are missing and I don't know if my horn works? The wires to these parts come right from the stator plate, I don't know if someone did a crappy rewiring job or what, so it seems like I would have the same problem as I did when measuring from the coil wire (pre coil).

Jonas Quimby /

And what's more, the spark plug coil takes the questionable AC power and ramps it up to a few thousand volts to the spark plug wire. But only for a fraction of a second every time the engine turns over.

That's why you cant measure a steady power output from your spark plug wire.

I'm surprised you didnt ruin your multimeter trying though.

Well guys? I need an answer here! Please?

Here's the deal: I had to replace my coil to even get a spark, and the replacement coil was not identical to my old one. I have spark now, but it is weak, and the fuel isn't lighting off. The "new" coil is an old Novi, so I'm not sure if it's a 12 or 6 volt coil. I need a 6 volt. If it's for a 12 volt, I imagine that the spark will be weak on a 6volt system. Am I right?

So if I assume that I have the right coil, and the voltage may not be able to be tested (see issues in my last post), how am I supposed to know if it's something in the stator plate?

How does one test a condensor to see whether it is good or not?

Finally, can the bike run if the lighthing/horn coil is bad?

Am I asking enough questions?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account