Tomos Targa LX Compression problem

Soo heres the problem..... Today on a long ride im riding and all of a sudden my 96 Tomos LX screeches and cuts out. I start it back up and keep going but it happens again. On the way back it cut out another 2 or 3 times and then just wouldnt start back up.

I think its a compression problem because the pedals are turning backwards too easily it seems but im not too mechanically inclined. Can anyone help me?

Re: Tomos Targa LX Compression problem

Do you have a compression checking gauge?? If not, put your finger inside the top end (where the spark plug screws in) and just try to kick it over. Does your finger get pushed out?? If so, you have good compression.

Maybe your oil pump failed and you kept seizing it?

what would I need to do to fix that?

Don Pflueger /

doing that means absolutely nothing, other than your piston is moving. a 2 stroke needs to have at least 120 lbs of compression the run correctly. 60 lbs of compression will blow your finger off but it will not allow a 2 stroke to run. throw that idea away and i wish fred would never have put that in his guide.

Don Pflueger /

read my reply in your other post here. diagnose it first, then worry about how to fix it. many things could have caused the symptoms you described. but do a couple simple things first. a really common problem is a loose intake manifold. but get compression numbers and look at the piston as i described to you.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account