trouble under magneto

Jeff Strahle /

Is it possible that i can hear electrical popping noises that ark sparks coming from under the magneto cover because the wires aren't soldered the right way on the condensor? I got a new condensor and soldered it but i don't know if i soldered it well enough. like its tight but like i said i don't know if theres a certain way to solder it

Re: trouble under magneto

I have an arc between the spark plug wire and the head that was audible. Made the bike run like crap too.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

Don Pflueger /

usually sparks come from the p[oints when your condensor is bad, or missing.

Jeff Strahle /

yea but i put a new condensor in it and i still had the problem. i'm just wondering if it could be the soldering on the condensor that is bad.

Jeff Strahle /

anyone else have input on this?

if you see or hear sparking inside the flywheel (and maybe smell ozone) it does sound like theres an improper connection or something..

When soldering in tight spaces it's easy to screw up and maybe drip some solder where it doesn't belong.. anything can happen.

First thing i'd want to do is to find the source of the sparking.. maybe remove the flywheel cover, turn out the lights so the room is dark.. and fire it up. You might see sparks and you might be able to tell where they are coming from.

otherwise use a ohm meter or multimeter and trace all the connections, making sure things are connected properly.

Don Pflueger /

i forgot to mention rust. you may have rust on the pick ups, or inside the magnets in the flywheel. the flywheel may even be bent from using the wrong puller to get it off.

Jeff Strahle /

well i know the flywheel isn't bent because it is brand new and i have a flywheel puller off of themopedjunkyard.com, so i know that i'm pulling it right, and there is no rust anywhere because i've either wiped it off or wire brushed it off so its all clean. I have new points in it, and i put a new condensor in it and i think thats when the problem started. it popped so much all the time when i would first start it that it ruined the new condensor and i took it out and the condensor was mishaped and the top with the plastic and the metal cap where you solder to were bubbled out and looked like they had been burned up. So, i put my old condesor which was still good back in, and it didn't do it that mcuh at first, but its starting to do it more now and i just looked at the condensor today and i may need to replace it soon again. I'm really at a loss right now cause i've replaced all the wiresd under the flywheel, so i know the connections are good. The only other thing that i could think of the reason why it is sparking becuse maybe one of my coils has a short somewhere inside the the coil(not the ignition coil the liting and primary coil), so then its shorting out and making the condesor short out and burn up too. please i need thoughts right now and your previous help is very much appreciated btw.

Thanks,

Jeff

Don Pflueger /

get a voltage reading from the charging coil. it may be putting out too much. unlikely since coils rarely ever go bad unless some outside force damaged them, but worth looking at. arcing at the points is always caused by a bad condensor, or no condensor at all.

Make sure that there isn't any contact between your flywheel and any of the wires. You can see the spark if you have windows in the flywheel.

A condenser does not have to be in there, you can mount it outside, as long as you have a really good ground, and extend the wires.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account