reartire barring

i got new barrings for the rear wheel cause the old ones exploded and on the sprocket side, a peice is still in there (the out coating) and i cant get it out for shit! it wont budge wen i hammer it out, and i tried WD-40 ... any suggestions?

Re: reartire barring

do you mean the outer race of the ball bearing is stuck in the wheel?

Firt thing i'd try is to knock it out .. Since the bearing was (probaby) pressed in, this would require it be knocked straight out, using firm taps all around the edge, keeping it perfectly lined up and straight and flat as it comes out.. If it gets cockeyed it won't move.

Second would be to use something like a small grinding wheel mounted on a Dremel Moto Tool and cut it in a couple places, being careful not to cut into the wheel hub.

Matt Erdman /

well i dont have a dremel and i tried everything to get it out and ended up busting 2 screwdrivers in half .. this thing WILL not budge at all ... idk what else to do

get a large socket the same size as the piece that needs to come out, tap in IN a little to make sure it is straight, then put the socket in through the other side and beat it out.

I stick a roll pin punch in from the opposite side and drive it out. I assume you're talking about bearings with loose balls and NOT sealed bearings? I don't know whaT MAKE OF BIKE OR WHEEL YOU HAVE?don-ohio

Matt Erdman /

no the bearing blew inside the rim and all thats left is the outer ring, which is almost impossible to get out cause it goes flush with the inside, i cant get the screwdriver wedged in anywhere..

i did seem to get a screwdriver wedge and snapped 3 screwdrivers trying to pry it out, but it aint moving.

its a tomos targa LX, 1999

with heat, aluminum expands a lot more than steel, so..

Try getting the hub really warm with a propane torch. Use a soft wide flame all around the area. Remove or shield anything that might be damaged by the heat or flame. If oil in the area starts to smoke, it's plenty hot enough.. like 400F (200C).

Prepare a couple flat, sharpened, angled prybars (bent flat screwdrivers?) ahead or time... something that will get between the race's edge and the bottom of the hub.

Keep the race square with the hub as it comes out.. it'll still get stuck if it gets cockeyed.

I wonder if this was a captive ball bearing, or a tapered roller..

There's a trick we used to do to get old bearing races out of BMW motorcycle steering sets. It requires a wire-feed welder.

What you do, is run a bead of weld all the way around the inner diameter of the stuck race. When it cools, it will contract enough that the race just drops out.

If it didn't just drop out, then the weld formed enough of a shelf that it could be knocked out with a long drift punch.

That is a sealed bearing,then. Part of the bearing race should be visible although I've never replaced a Tomos sealed bearing.

First thing is clean it out and wipe it out so you have a really GOOD look at the situation. Go from there. don-ohio

Matt Erdman /

yeah i already chewed up the bearing housing so im going to take it to a local shop to get it taken out, i dont wanna screw up the housing more than it already is .. thanks for advice tho

Good idea,Matt. Get another set of eyes on it. Never hurts to take things to a machine shop when in doubt. I sometimes have to go there myself. Hop you get `er runnin' like a sewing machine! don-ohio

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account