power

Hey all,

I have had my moped (1977 Puch) for acouple of years and I think I pushed it around more last summer than actually rode it. It has been in the shop for a couple of weeks getting new tires and a general check up before the summr starts. It is ready for me to pick it up however, I am told that it's only going 17mph. Same problem as last year. I had the points, condenser, spark plug rplaced. The carb is clean, gas mixture good, Cleaned the exhaust last year. Maybe doing that wiill help againbut it didnt really help before. points are gapped properly and timing is good.

Now this may be the most retarded question/statement ever on this site but here goes. I read once that someone had a broken horn and when he fixed it all the power came back. I do have a problem with my horn going off all the time but I have temporary fixes for that. Has anyone heard of such a stupid thing before? Does anyone know how and where to get a new horn and replace it?

Thanks for reading my rambling story for such a silly question.

Re: power

I'm not too experience with mopeds but I am gonna reply to thius cause no one else has. You can buy parts at www.themopedjunkyard.com. They have a variety of parts. I don't quite know if your horn could effect the power because I have also heard about how the electrical configuration on a moped can effect the engine performance. Weird. Anyway, i may possibly be faultering the sprakplug in some way, im not too sure though. Because if there is not enough power (being directed to the horn or something else) the spark plug wont fire at high compression whiuch means the enbngine will only run at lower RPM's, therefore, bringin g down the top speed of the bike. I'm sure that you would hear the sprakplug misfiring once the RPM get too high.

Thanks. I do hear it sputtering and maybe that is the spark plug misfiring? Do you think if I just disconnect the horn I could test to see if it's that, or do I have to put a new one on first?

i think its just an old bike and has a problem, when i had my puch cobra it toped out at 23. yes, 17 is slow and that means there is some problem with something.

Yeah, I would try and disconnect the horn, that might work. If it still runs at 17, I would talk to a more experience moped expert, and possibly get the electrical looked at.

Have you done a plug chop? Check the resources page to see how the other thing to do would be a compression test. If this bike has high mileage it may need new rings.

Jason Luther /

is it a one speed motor or two?

is the exhaust plugged, and are all the crank seals good(if a puch has them)

Re: power -ZIPPY??

Terrangela, a horn can take a lot of power to run it, and if it's shorted, it could be part of your problem. Zippy has expounded on this before, and personally I had a horn on one of my Sebrings that killed my engine because it shorted out.

Now if it's sputtering, and you are SURE your exhaust port and exhaust pipe are clear, then maybe the airbox has a restriction. Try running it without the airbox once.

Also, like Mr.Mike Bartell said, it could be crankseals or a bad cylinder to engine gasket or loose intake bolts,etc., but the shop should've caught that.

So do a search for Zippy's post a few years back on PUch horn. don-ohio (:^)

Thanks. I am going to do a compression test when I manage to get it back. It does have high milage, it's from 1977 and I don't know how many hands it has gone through.

Re: power -ZIPPY??

Yeah, I'm sure the exhaust is clear and I think he did try it without the air filter. I'm not sure he's an expert with mopeds but I find it hard to find someone here that is. I thought I did last year but whether he is or not he got tired of seeing me wheel my bike up to his garage. I have many things to try out when I get it back in my gritty paws. Thanks for the advice. Angela

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account