Airsal kit

Jeff Strahle /

I am putting an airsal kit on my 1991 tomos A-3, and i noticed that i was going to have to bore out the connecting rod hole. is this dangerous to do? With the hole bored out will there still be some brass in the bushing left or will there be none, and will it hurt the wrist pin if there is not bushing when it is bored out? how many peple have put airsal kits on their A-3's? It doesn't seem like its gonna be hard i just need to know acouple things.

Re: Airsal kit

no way are you gonna bore that connecting rod's little end.. forget it.

what you wanna do is make bushings for the stock piston pin .. little caps that slip over the pin's ends and fit snug into the (bigger) piston pin bore holes.

Don Pflueger /

it needs to be done by a machine shop to ensure the correct tolerances.

Don Pflueger /

there is a brass bushing in the end of the connecting rod that can be bored from 10mm to 12mm. but to achieve the correct tolerances, it should be done in a machine shop. if he has a press, he can get the 12mm bushing from ike or any other tomos dealer and replace the 10mm with the 12mm. but this too needs to be done in a machine shop to ensure it is in straight.

Sure, anything can be done, but I like absolutely nothing about the idea of messing with the rod .. Given these two options, there's no competition, imo.

I was considering the same procedure a few weeks ago and got what i felt was pretty good advice HERE

John Joedicke /

So if you have a lathe and a small arbor press you are away to the races. Can be done and not with a lot of difficulty. Biggest problem is taking apart the darn engine.

So Don, the brass bushing is what needs to be bored? And you said Ike has the 12mm bushings, like used in the A-3N's?

Jeff Strahle /

i don't get it, i have an A-3N but the con rod is still 10mm. why do you think they still mad it smaller?

No idea.....what kind of ped did it come off of, and what year, Jeff?

I meant, what kind of Tomos was it, my bad. Like a Bullet, or Targa, Sprint....etc.

Don Pflueger /

thats why i stressed having a machine shop do the work. the a3n ands the a35 use exactly the same rod. but they have different brass bushings pressed into them. when done correctly, there wont be an issue at all.

Don Pflueger /

ike should be able to get them. if not chris can.

Jeff Strahle /

its a 1991 golden bullet ttlx. its the same frame as the targa lx but a different head light, speedo, and a couple other things. the engine is an A-3N. I just don't get why its only a 10mm if it is an A-3N.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account