FA50 Muffler Gasket Question

Scott Jorgenson /

I am running an 1983 Suzuki FA50. I am having trouble getting a muffler gasket that fits (sits between muffler & exhaust manifold). The 2 Suzuki has sent me are in my estimation to big since they don't nestle in the muffler and manifold opening. Since I thought I was the idiot I tried to use it anyway but ended up with a 1/8" gap. Do any of you other FA50 owners recall having this problem? Are you even using a gasket? Thanks

Re: FA50 Muffler Gasket Question

I don't use a gasket, but I am probably going to get one from the dealership... should running without a gasket hurt the moped?

Scott Jorgenson /

Nick,

All I know is that running without one simply is a bit messy. I've run 2 years now without one.

by now, i woulda dropped by the local auto parts store, bought some heat-resistant fiber exhaust gasket material and cut some circles of the correct size.

Although that Suzuki gasket is probably a hollow, soft copper shell filled with some kind of fiber, which allows it to be crushed and to fit perfectly, like a spark plug gasket, a couple of flat "paper" gaskets should work fine.

I used high temperature rtv on mine. I dont remember having a huge gap but my pipe is pretty bent up. at any rate the Rtv has been holding for three years now. great bike though, despite what peaople say about the Japanese no-peds this bike is zippy and handles great! I know I can never make it do 50 but its a 50cc engine, if I wanted a real motorcycle I'd buy one.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account