Puch oil mixture

Timothy Kruger /

I have a 1977 Puch Maxi 1hp single speed with 1100 miles on it. I have been using a 20:1 mixture since I purchased it 3 years ago. Is this the correct mixture? It smokes alot and often fouls plugs. One person sugested that it should have 40:1 but the guy I bought it from said they always used 20:1.

Re: Puch oil mixture

wow, 20:1!!! :D

you're going to foul plugs like I eat pizza man, since the mileage isn't so high why not try a range?

35:1, 40:1, 45:1 ? watch the kind of oil you buy though because some brands will tell you specifically which ratio to mix the fuel in. the Stihl brand of oil i use strongly recommends a 50:1 ratio, it may vary.

Puch recommends 50:1.. go with 40:1 to be on the safe side.. dont go by the oil manufacturers recommendation go with the moped manufacturers! I use Amsol Synthetic 2 stroke oil and it is awesome!

40:1 is the way to go; your bike will spit just a little bit of smoke; just enough to re-assure you that you have enough oil mixed in with the gas... plugs will last you a lot longer and you will probably notice some performance increase as well.. i have ridden bikes with some seriously oil thick mixes and they tend to want to bog a lot. plus, its easy to remember: 100 mL of oil per gallon of gas.

isn't synthetic a little oilier than the natural?

open your cylinder up and look at the build up. the recomended mixture is 50:1. thats a mess inside there.

on my puch i always go with an exact 50:1 ratio

dont matter what 2 stroke oil i have, its always 50:1 for me

Tim, you need to run with what your owners manual tells you to run. If you do not have a manual you should be able to find one on the web. Try MRA.org

It sounds like the other threads are sasying that the manual recommends 50:1 but that a lot of guys are running 40:1 to be on the safe side.

my cobra had the mixture on the gass cap. its 50:1. you'll want to clean out the oil mess. im sure its a little hard to start.

I just put a new tank of fuel in my 77 puch now it seems to bog. Can I assume its because the oil mixture is too rich and just add gas to the tank.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account