Tomos: Leaking Oil on my Rear Rim

Hi,

I have a brand new Tomos Bullet (ST) and these days there is a lot of oil on my back rim... streaks of it... I have not oiled my chain, and i see oil coming from around the front sprocket.... anyone know what the problem is? How to fix it?

Re: Tomos: Leaking Oil on my Rear Rim

John Joedicke /

Check your oil pump connection, if not that you have a crankcase seal failure. You say it is new, take it back to the dealer, it is his problem if you are still in warranty.

I took it back to the dealer and the guy said I had installed the front sprocket wrong and that was the problem last week..... after getting back (after they put on a different sprocket (27 teeth) Im still getting the same probs.... i dont want to bother taking it back... they dont seem to know what they are doing.

Anyone know where i can find a crankcase seal?

Chains do sling oil, the tomos has a chain oiling system and the chain slings it wherever it can.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to live

Don Pflueger /

sounds like the sprocket shaft seal is bad. sometimes you can drive them in a smidgeon with a piece of pvc pipe and they will stop leaking.

Don Pflueger /

www.ikesbikes.com

Don Pflueger /

tomos do not have a chain oiler.

See Ya Moped Army /

I removed my leaky sprocket shaft seal and smeared a little Permatex around the perimeter of the seal and then

re-installed it. Stopped the leak perfectly.

Your bikes is done I'll buy it from you for $ 300

John Joedicke /

For someone with a "new" ped you sure are having a great time with it. If you were not so confrontational on some of your replies etc. someone may care a little more. Enjoy Toronto, you certainly have alienated yourself from that group.

I was told that they had a "weep hole"? Never actualy looked though.

DonP you really make the moped forums a better place, and make me sound like I am new to mopeds every time lol. But I am more than glad to absorb the knowlege and not ask the same question twice.Some day I would very much like to sit down and chat.You seem to really know your stuff and must have years of experence, somthing which I have yet to gain.

in a rare chance the tranny could be leaking onto your chain and then if gets back onto the rim. (it is possible, it happened to me)

the tranny fluid is leading on his chain because his seal is bad. tomos's have a big problem doing that. Tomos's also have a problem where the chain will strech out super long

I'm glad I have a Puch lol

There is no weep hole.

Check to make sure the bowl of your carb is tight, if not, you may be leaking gas onto the top of your motor which could be leaking onto your chain.

Also, there is nothing wet on that side of the motor. It's all the electrical and whatnot. No flud gets over there. However, there is a seal between the starting shaft/drive shaft (the shaft with the sprocket) and the transmission case. The gasket in there may be toast.

Are you POSITIVE it's the chain side? I know that when i ran my 04' LX for the first 100 miles a leak developed in the bottom of the exhaust. This sprayed my entire back wheel with unburnt oil and fuel. The worst part is, was that I thought it was my chain too, until i grabbed onto the exhaust one day and realized it was wet underneith.

If anything, get your seals checked. Make sure you use a silicone based chain oil too, this will prevent splatter and keep your chain protected from rust.

ive gone thru 4 chains on my tomos. i hate those bikes! im getting another puch soon.

Don Pflueger /

thats not the bikes fault. either you have;

cheap chains

bad sprocket/s

rear wheel not centered

chain tension too tight

its because the chains are used, or not tight enough. if its not just right they can jerk around. and my chains are from Ike so they are good. i like how puchs have the arm that tightens the chain.

Don Pflueger /

well see, then its not the bikes fault if the chains are used. my 87 golden bullet has its original chain still. works fine. not sloppy or anything yet and it has 1300 miles on it.

thats a lot of miles on one chain. i have a lot of totque on my bike.

Don Pflueger /

so does mine. its my modified a3n. it pulls the front wheel off the ground without trying when it shifts into 2nd gear. tops out at 47 mph when jetted right.

thats masive power coming form an a3 engine. my cuz has a a3 on his golden bullet and we call it the peanut.

Don Pflueger /

yep its very tuned ported and modified.

I recommend Maxima Chain Wax.Not nearly as messy as most other chain lubes.Available at any motorcycle store.

Shouldn't a properly maintained chain last at least 5 or 6 thousand miles?

Don Pflueger /

i think so.

I'd tell what it is but then I have to kill you. LoL

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account