Please help - 85 Tomos Bullet - won't start

Bill Moore /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Hi. I recently purchased an 85 tomos a3 golden bullet. When I bought it, the guy said it ran great, but when I went to pick it up, after a two day trip, I couldn't get it started. I wasn't about to drive all the way back to Pittsburgh from Boston with no moped in hand, so I took it anyways.

When I got it back home, I tried starting it, and tinkering, until I noticed there was no gas in it... duh. So I filled it up and bang! Ran like a dream. After riding for a bit I put it back in the garage, only to realize that it was leaking gasoline on the floor. I got out my tools and started tinkering again. Everything was tight. So I drained the tank, and and pulled out the petcock. It looked like the petcock was leaking. So I bought a new one from Moped Junkyard, put it on, and viola, no more leaking.

I filled it back up with a gas can I had laying there and tried to start it. It started eventually, but when I took it out to ride, it was sluggish and erratic. I thought maybe it was because there was 2-cycle oil in the gas can that I filled it with (this is an oil-injection model). I drained the tank again, and filled it with clean gas. Now it won't even start, and when I do get it started, it idels erratically and dies.

Could this new petcock be bad? Could the oil-gas mix have hurt the engine? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account