Please help - 85 Tomos Bullet - won't start

Hi. I recently purchased an 85 tomos a3 golden bullet. When I bought it, the guy said it ran great, but when I went to pick it up, after a two day trip, I couldn't get it started. I wasn't about to drive all the way back to Pittsburgh from Boston with no moped in hand, so I took it anyways.

When I got it back home, I tried starting it, and tinkering, until I noticed there was no gas in it... duh. So I filled it up and bang! Ran like a dream. After riding for a bit I put it back in the garage, only to realize that it was leaking gasoline on the floor. I got out my tools and started tinkering again. Everything was tight. So I drained the tank, and and pulled out the petcock. It looked like the petcock was leaking. So I bought a new one from Moped Junkyard, put it on, and viola, no more leaking.

I filled it back up with a gas can I had laying there and tried to start it. It started eventually, but when I took it out to ride, it was sluggish and erratic. I thought maybe it was because there was 2-cycle oil in the gas can that I filled it with (this is an oil-injection model). I drained the tank again, and filled it with clean gas. Now it won't even start, and when I do get it started, it idels erratically and dies.

Could this new petcock be bad? Could the oil-gas mix have hurt the engine? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Please help - 85 Tomos Bullet - won't start

Jason Luther /

did you check to make sure that fuel is flowing freely from the new petcock? perhaps you stirred up some sediment and it clogged the new petcock or your carb. sounds like you are not getting any gas.-jason

Don Pflueger /

check to make sure you have a good, fast, and steady fuel flow from the gas line where it fits to the carb. if not, the petcock is plugged. if so, clean out the carb. as a good measure, install a new spark plug. it may be oil fouled.

Bill Moore /

When I disconnect the petcock from the carb, and turn it on, fuel flows out with no problem. I suppose I need to clean the carb, though I've never done it before... how hard is it to remove the carb? Do I need any special tools? The spark plug looks okay, but I have a spare I can replace it with just in case.

Don Pflueger /

try the plug first.

then if that dont work........

spray some carb cleaner into the carb throat. try to start the engine. if it fires, you have a fuel problem. if it does not fire, you have either a spark, or compression problem. remove the plug and test for spark. if no spark, clean and regap the points. if you have spark, check compression. compression needs to be 120 lbs or higher.

Bill Moore /

I'll try that, thanks don... I think compression is ok, because when it was running, it ran great, with a lot of power for a bullet.

Don Pflueger /

well, that can change in a second with a leaking base, head gasket, or crank seal.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account