another carberator question

ok i have the instructions from freds article but is this easy to do. it seems pretty simple but i dont want to go getting in over my head here. any tips for when i do this thing tomorrow, like should i just drop it in the cleaner and leave it in there or clean everything one part at a time?

Re: another carberator question

just take it apart in a 9x12 baking pan or something like that so you don't lose any of the tiny parts...and they have a way of flying out of your fingers lol... visually inspect each part and remeber where it goes... clean each part individually.. the float needle has a rubber tip.. its not dirt so dont try to scrape it off lol... then blow out all the passages with carb cleaner using the pipette that comes with the can.. blow out the channels and reassemble it... you will be doing it in your sleep in no time lol... older Bings have a screen in the Banjo bolt that most people have removed over the years.. if it still in there make sure to clean it well... or just get rid of it... and just excersize caution when handling the float so you dont bend the attaching arm and throw off the angle it sits in the bowl in when it's right side up.. it should look level when you hold the carb upside down... that's about it.... make sure you have a fresh gasket for the bowl and DONT overtightenn the bowl to the point that you strip the threads... it is made out of soft aluminum so dont go taking a huge ratchet wrench to it lol...

i should put in a new gasket? where can i get that?

what kind of carb is it???

You may be able to use the old one if youre very careful and dont tear it and it isnt too beat up...

It's always good to have a few spares... they are easy to find.. just tell me what kind of carb and I may have an extra

ill let you know later i live in an apartment and leave my ped in a garage ill be there today to work on it and ill get the info. the most i could tell you know is that the motor is a laura and the moped is a batavus badger

Don Pflueger /

he has an encarwi. so theres not many parts to it. the needle does not have a rubber tip either.

Don Pflueger /

disassemble the carb. soak it, and its parts (not the gaskets) in carb cleaner, then poke wire thru every hole you can find in the body and its parts. follow up with blasts of carb cleaner then rinse with water. blow everything out with an air compressor before reassembly.

Don Pflueger /

its an encarwi. the upper gasket can be bought at ikes bikes.

Don Pflueger /

you can get replacement carb parts from ikes bikes for the encarwi carb. look at the tomos a3 service manual for a breakdown on mopedriders.org in the moped repair section.

make sure you have 120 lbs of compression or higher, a new spark plug, and that the exhaust pipe and port are clean. the reeds on this bike are nla, so if they are not sealing, your out of luck. service limit on them is .005". any more than that and they are worn out and the bike wont run. but, sometimes you can take them apart and turn them over and they will work for awhile.

so ishould soak in carb cleaner and have another can of spray carb cleaner. sorry if this sounds obviouse but ive never done it.

my spark plug is new and ped runs fine but i was thinking it has probably never been done and could probably help it out a bit

which gasket is it i need to replace? i see float gasket and a couple others

I was thinkin it was a Bing lol...

Don Pflueger /

the upper float gasket, and the jet screw gasket.

Don Pflueger /

lol, no the bats use encarwi's, which i think have a relationship with bing.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account