carb adjustment

i have a problem i cant seem to get this thing to idle smoothly. i have to play with the choke all the time. i adjust the two screws on my carb ( see attatchment) back and forth and cant seem to get a good starting point. one i think i have it down it bogs out when im riding and then i have to play with the choke ( press , depress) constantly to get it to go. the last thing i did was change the fuel filter and air filter.

1115432038_dcp_1630.jpg

Re: carb adjustment

never mind the post........above i figured it out. luckily my choke cabe broke in the process of tuning and about an hour later i took out the carb choke assy and put my thumb over the hole and to my surprise it idled awsome i quickly looked for something to plug the hole temporarily. took a bic pen and shoved it in the hole. my take is that the new cone performance filter i put on it was too much air flow for the spectrum of the choke. whaca guys think . could this be a problem other than cold starts?

ya, sounds quite possible. Try upjetting

John Joedicke /

And coat that filter with filter oil or you will still suck fine particles into your engine.

Hi Performance Air filters can be problematic on Stock setups.... they upset the mix just enough to throw off your jetting.. unless you have an oversized manifold to let the extra fuel and air in they can mess you up!

do you guys think i should bore the carb out? can i change the jetting on my stocker (see pic on first post) or just buy a performance carb and manifold. and where would I get one? ..........one more thing i thought this was totally funny. with me on it i go about 28 and with me and my cousin which is about about 450 lbs i break 30 to 32 mph.....wtf!!!!

What I'd suggest, is that you re-install the stock air filter. Once you have it running right, then proceed by changing one thing at a time.

2-cycles are very sensitive to the flow characteristics of the intake / air filter. If it seems a bit restrictive, it's not because the engineers were stupid, but rather because this is what it took to make the engine run right.

I've never seen a 'performance' air filter do anything other than make a 2-cycle bike run badly, unless it also had a performance pipe, and correct re-jetting.

your completly right its like saying why put a scoop on the hood of a yugo. ok where should i start. or is there a right order carb, exhaust, porting the intake, porting the carb?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account