NO SPARK

O.K., FIRST, I DON'T HAVE ANY SPARK. SECOND, I BOUGHT A TEST METER. THIRD, I HAVE CONTINUITY ON ALL CIRCUITS. BY THAT I MEAN, ALL CIRCUITS SHOW TO BE CONTINUOUS. I AM THINKING THAT MAYBE I HAVE A WIRE INSIDE THE FLYWHEEL THAT IS GROUNDING OUT. I HAVE REPLACED THE BULBS IN THE TAIL LIGHT ASSEMBLY, AND ALSO THE HEADLIGHT. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME, I'M REALLY STARTING TO FEEL LIKE AN IDIOT. I HAVE SET THE POINT GAP @ .018''. OH, YEA, IT'S A 78 SEARS FREE SPIRIT. IT'S A GREAT LOOKING BIKE, BUT I CAN'T GET IT TO START.

Re: NO SPARK

I unbolted the coil from the engine on my not sparking Tomos and it had spark then. It was a bad taillight bulb circuit causing the problem. Not sure if your ped is the same. Just a thought.

Don Pflueger /

try the easiest thing first. install a new spark plug. then figure out if you have power coming out of the magneto going to the coil. if so, make sure that power then exits the coil and goes back down to the magneto thru the condensor then the points, to ground.

most common spark issues are;

dirty or misadjusted points

bad condensor

bad spark plug

bad spark plug boot

bad spark plug wire

faulty or improper wiring between magneto and coil

bad kill switch

bad tail light or brake light bulb

bad ground at coil

coils rarely ever go bad.

Ricardo Bowring /

that's true coils never go bad.....

Don Pflueger /

well, you really cant say never go bad. they will go bad if;

the outer case is cracked

they are hit

carb cleaner gets on the protective coating on the windings

too high of a voltage was applied

exposed to extreme heat

I KNOW THAT THE SPARK-PLUG IS GOOD. I TRIED IT ON A YAMAHA SCOOTER THAT I HAVE. I KNOW THAT THE COIL IS GOOD, IT WORKED ON THE YAMAHA. THE THING THAT I DO NOT KNOW IS THE PROPER WIRING FOR THE 78 FREE SPIRIT. WHEN I TEST FOR CONTINUITY IN THE CIRCUITS, IT APPEARS THAT ALL CIRCUITS ARE CONTINUOUS CLOSED LOOP. I AM AT A LOSS. I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT!!

Don Pflueger /

a spark plug may work in one bike but not another. the reason is that every plug has a designated heat range. the yamaha may use a colder heat range which would mean that a fouled plug may still work in that bike, but only for a short time. do the simple thing first. replace the plug with one of the correct heat range.

and please stop typing in caps.

ok, i've changed the spark-plug,and no change. i still don't have a spark. is there some way to isolate the ignition, and do away with all the other wires, until i get it running? it sure would be helpful if someone could tell me how to check to see if i have a short to ground. when i test it with a multi-meter, all circuits show to be continuous. i mean everything. if i put one lead to the black wire on the cut-off switch and one lead to, well, anything, it shoes continuity. i can't figure it out. someone, please, save me!!

Don Pflueger /

it can be done. but i dont know your bikes wire colors. so what you need to know is, which wire produces power from the magneto. if there are three wires, two will usually produce power while the third is a ground. if this is what you have, the lower powered wire needs to go to the + (pos) side of the ht (ignition coil). the wire that is a ground will then go to the - (neg) side of the ht. if your points are gapped at .014"-.016", and they are clean, and the screw terminal on the points is isolated correctly with the plastic washers, you should see a spark. if you dont, pull the points and repair them, or replace the condensor or spark plug boot. if your ht has a resistor type boot, and you are using a resistor plug, you may not get spark too.

hey, i have now taken all wiring loose, and have just isolated the ignition. all that is hooked up are the wires from the magneto,points, condenser, and coil. i am now getting a spark, though it seems to be week. i have not tested it with my multi-meter, but i will when i get a chance. i'm thinking that i need to ground the one side like you said, and i should get a pretty good spark. if i do, i'll be out riding it very soon.

Don Pflueger /

just clean your points really good, set the gap at .014"-.016", and make sure all the connections are clean and tight. if it still has a weak spark, you may need a new condensor.

ok, i sure will. thanks a lot. i'm trying to get this down, but there is a lot to learn about these little scooters. they're a blast to work on, and fun to ride. i'm going to put new connectors on today, and hopefully get her to running. maybe just cleaning the points will work, if not, i'm going to have to go and buy a puller. hey, also, i don't have the kill switch hooked up. will i be able to kill it just by pulling the ground wire off of the coil?

thanks again!!!!!

Don Pflueger /

yes. any break in the circuit will shut it off.

great news!!she's running now. i have spark and fuel and compression. only trouble is the throttle is not working. it just seems to run at wide open throttle. i have taken the carb apart and cleaned it thoroughly. i'm sure that it is just something simple. when the moped is not running, i can operate the throttle just fine, or it appears to be working properly. but after it is running, it just runs wide open. any thoughts?

by the way, you guys have been great to me!!

i appreciate it!!

hello, again,

i found the problem. it's a headgasket. it's leaking pretty good. it's allowing too much air into the system, therefore leaning it out and making it run wide open.

can anyone tell me where to get a head gasket for a 1978 sears free spirit?

Don Pflueger /

you need to know what engine you have. www.mopedwarehouse is the best bet.

IVE HAD COILS GO BAD . THESE COILS WENT BAD WITH AGE BUT A COIL CAN GO BAD.

Don Pflueger /

no they dont. coils go bad because of;

being hit

cracks in the outer housing from being hit

moisture shorting out the windings

carb cleaner being used to clean the windings

excessive voltage applied

overheating from an outside source

a coil is just a piece of ferrite that is wound with copper wire that is sealed with a clear non inductive coating. there are no moving parts that wear out. nor do they go bad with age. they fail due to misuse, or any other outside source that damages them.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account