rusty tank

Does anyone know a cheap fix for a tank with a bit of rust in it? Maybe an additive to break it down and drain it???

Re: rusty tank

"SEARCH"

KREEM works great! $25

Thanks for the reply, where would I find KREEM? I'll check my local shop.

If you are going to use Kreem, be really, really careful with it. The prep stages are very important to having it work correctly. I've seen a bad job ruin a tank.

I did my tank this week, and had some unintended consequences. The petcock was shot, so I decided to use it as a plug when doing a muriatic acid soak. Sometime during the night, the acid ate completely through the pot-metal petcock, and the tank ejected the contents all over the garage floor, and over the bike itself.

Luckily, nothing got damaged except for a stainless steel hemostat, which now has an etched appearance. Oops.

Allen Murphy /

I'd use POR-25 instead of Kreem.

I have a Honda motorcycle with a Kreem job on it, and it's breaking up and clogging the float valve needles.

Might be due to the alcohol in the fuel these days, but I don't really care WHY, but I wouldn't recommend Kreem as such.

My .02 worth, Al Murphy

I did the first two steps of the Kreem application and skipped the goop.... I just flushed it out good with soap and water several times afterwards and my inside tank went from a crusted rusted cruddy look to a clean gunmetal gray... I just keep it filled now and the oil and gas coat it fine... I haven't had any problems and its never clogged even though I dont use an in-line filter and only rely on the filters in the petcock... I dont recommend no in-line filter but I pull my carb all the time to check it and test jets and stuff and there has never even been a trace of rust in the bowl or jets:P

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account