Tomos A3 Bullet

I just picked up this ped and it will only spark if the coil is not attached to the engine. It also loses spark when I switch on the headlights. I am a master auto tech but don't understand how this moped electrical system works. The wiring is not chafed or shorted, the taillight assembly is missing. Any ideas? Thanks for any input: Mike

Re: Tomos A3 Bullet

Don Pflueger /

you need the tail light bulbs to get spark. if the bulbs are bad/missing, the bike wont run. also, if its an older bullet, say 1985 or older, there is a resistor in the tail light housing which is used as a voltage regulator. disconnect the blue wire that runs up into the wire harness to the handle bars from the coil. it should then run with the coil mounted. then to shut it off, just unplug the blue wire from the coil. leave the headlight turned off or you will blow bulbs.

Thanks for the tip Don, I hooked up a tail light assembly from a old Hobbit I have for parts and the engine no longer dies with the coil grounded. I also hooked up the brake light switches and lo and behold the engine now dies when I put on the brakes! I notice that the brake light seems to work normally (till the engine stops turning). The engine dies with or without the brake light bulb in place. The engine also seems to run rich, is there a way to adjust the low speed mixture? 1 more question, is there another air filter besides the metal mesh one on the carb? This is my first experience with working on a Tomos, I'm pretty impressed with them so far. I also have a twin to this bike in real nice shape the "parts bike is a 89 and the nice one is a 91, both say, "made in Yugoslavia". Are all Tomos peds made there? Thanks again: Mike

Yah, either Yugoslavia (Old ones) or Slovenia. You need an actual Tomos taillight assy for that ped. The brake light bulb is part of the ignition system, so it must be hooked up correctly for the ped to run when the brakes are applied. Here is the BEST wiring diagram I have yet to find for an A-3:

http://www.themopedjunkyard.com/a3spec.jpg

Don Pflueger /

the hobbit tail light assembly must be wired differently, otherwise it wouldnt die. being a 91, it wont have the resistor in the tail light, but rather, a voltage regulator mounted on the right side frame under the engine cover. make sure both yellow wires are plugged into the regulator, and that it is grounded good. dying as the brakes are applied tells me you dont have the tail light assembly grounded properly.

there is no low end mixture. it is fatory pre-set. i would;

clean the exhaust

make sure the engine has 120 lbs or higher compression

make sure the air box and filter are clean

install a new champion l86c spark plug

there are some k&n performance filters. but the wire mesh one is stock for most peds.

yep, all tomos are made in yugoslavia. they are the best peds out there in my opinion.

Don Pflueger /

thats for your older bike tho brock. the 91 uses a different wire diagram. www.mopedriders.org has the correct diagram in the moped repair section.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account