FA50 carb help

I've been trying to clean out the carburetor on my newly acquired '87 FA50 in the attempt to exceed 24 mph. I've taken the carb off about 4 or 5 times now, going a little further each time as I teach myself about it. The problem is I can't seem to get the thing to come apart. I take off the four screws holding the bottom float bowl to the top air chamber, but the thing won't come apart. Is it just stuck real hard? Do I need to pry it apart? Or am I missing some other fastener holding it together? I tried pretty hard to pull it apart to no avail.

I've also seen others on this site talking of FA50's going 30-35 mph. How? I know there's no kits. Mines in near perfect condition, muffler's not clogged, propper amount of oil in the case, new plug, and the carb seems clean from what I can see of it, but when I hit 24mph it tops out, and not with a smooth hum, it sort of sputters a bit and drops down 1 or 2 mph then picks back up. Not a terrible sputter, but it feels like it's being governed. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

1114920403_fa50.jpg

Re: FA50 carb help

cjones_43 /

yea look at the wires under the seat and u should see the wires to the motor and unplug the governer wire and it should go faster and make a hole in the pipe for better air flow out the motor that helps to .

Which is the governor wire?

cjones_43 /

i dont know that

Scott Jorgenson /

I too want to go 30 on my FA50. Just where do you drill a hole on the muffler? What size hole?

I didn't know there was such a thing as a governor wire.

Do not drill holes in your muffler, its will make it loud and anooying, And THERE IS NO GOVENOR WIRE, i have gotton going at 32mph and i weigh 200lbs on my fa50, you justhave to adjust the adjusment screws and clean your jets,also you may want to get a new set of rings for the piston to have more compression. BIKEBANDIT.com Has all the fa50 parts, they will ahve everything you need,

"yea look at the wires under the seat and u should see the wires to the motor and unplug the governer wire and it should go faster and make a hole in the pipe for better air flow out the motor that helps to ."

Yeah, I get it, never mention a governor on this site, or ask how to make an FA50 go faster. I just said it "feels" like it's being governed, of course I know the kind folks at Suzuki would never do such a thing.

Anyway, anybody have any suggestions on how to get my carb to come apart? Am I just being girly with this thing and I really need to pry it with a crow-bar?

There is no governor nor should one salve a problem by drilling holes. I would start with the air filter. buy a new element and oil it per instructions. These bikes have no real mixture adjustment on the carb so everything must be right. if you pull off the airbox completely the engine won't even run without the choke.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account