screeching

There's a funny screeching sound that comes from my bike when at medium to high throttle, i've lubed the chain 4 times to no avail. any ideas?

Re: screeching

Leon Swarmer /

do you need fluid in your tranny?

do the brakes drag at slow speeds?

do you hear it on a center stand or only while riding?

If someone lighter/heravier rides is the screech the same?

Does it happen all the time or only under certain conditions?

Leon

Ja'Far Rogers /

brakes are fine, atf fluid is only 135miles old, i hear the screeching sound while on center stand AND while riding - nobody touches my bike but me so i couldn't tell you about the weight factor.... and it's been happening for a month now

What kind of fluid are you using synthetic/ nonsyn. / semisyn.

ect.jim

Leon Swarmer /

Wouldn't hurt to check the level again.

I am just making a wild guess, but it MAY be bearings. if the bearings have warn down so much they dont hold together, they sometimes start to grind into metal like a wood laythe. They will start to screech when they do that, i have herd it before.

just a thought

Ja'Far Rogers /

i use synthetic fluid and the level is optimal but streetcruiser has a good idea going. would the screeching bearings be from my front brakes or from the sprockets?

Leon Swarmer /

if you hear the same sound on the bike when it is on a centerstand..it's not the front brakes.

Ja'Far Rogers /

well there's the piston crank bearings, the sprocket bearings, and the rear wheel bearings ..... the engine runs well but could it be the crank bearings? i hope not 'cause i don't know how to change them :(

Is it posible the synthetic fluid is low? This can happen on an engine with miles on it if the seals are worn the snyth. fliud might pass right past the seals!I would drain it and put regular old dino. auto tranny fluid Type F back in it to see.Jim

Ja'Far Rogers /

the engine has many miles on it, 12188 to be exact, i'll drain it and put in some ATF and see what happens

It is most likly those darn crank bearing. hate to brake it to ya but thats most likely what your noise is.

Leon Swarmer /

I usually don't recommend this....do it with caution.

pull the plug, turn the kill switch to off, petcock on, take the side cover off the bike and spin it with a drill hooked to a socket. Ya gotta run fuel through it or you'll score your cylinder. At higher speed with it not runnning you might be able to spot the exact spot of the screech.

Leon

You really need to figure out what part of the bike it's coming from. If you can get someone else to run it while it's making noise, cup your hands around one of your ears and see if that helps you localize the noise. Watch the moving parts!

Safe to say it's probably not the chain. I've heard main bearings do it, but usually just a few seconds before they lock up.If they are bad, you will be able to feel play or roughness when you turn the crankshaft by hand.

If it's belt-drive, it could be a bad belt or pulleys.

Just some thoughts.

Re: screeching gone, something else

Ja'Far Rogers /

something reallllly weird is going on here, i cleaned my air filter and let it dry yesterday and the screeching has pretty much disappeared..... go figure O_o

but _now_ another problem has reared it's ugly head, the clean filter is now starved for air, i can feel the bike sputtering and hesitating at full throttle and i haven't been able to go past 25mph since then, i normally stop somewhere around 34-38mph. isn't a clean filter supposed to help things? and why has a clean filter suddenly cleared up the screeching sound but no restricting my airflow, also my bike will not idle anymore

help me out ppl i'm at a loss here

Is the air filter element supposed to be oiled? If so, it might be getting too much air without some oil in it.

Try covering half of the filter area with some tape, then try the bike. If it improves, you know what's going on.

It might be a coincidental failure, the kind that makes you chase your tail.

Ja'Far Rogers /

i'll try that today, and yes it is supposed to have light 2-stroke on it

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account