Change freewheel without special tool

Need to change the freewheel on my Moby, and it's pretty clear that you need a special tool to do this.

Anyone have a good method that doesn't require the special tool?

I was thinking that I could just weld the outer sprocket to the inner hub of the freewheel, and then take it off with a chain wrench, or a big pipe wrench.

Anyone tried this?

Re: Change freewheel without special tool

I'd go to a bicycle shop, wheel in hand and ask them to take it off.

Usually they will do it for free, if you buy the replacement there.

If you mean the flywheel, small engine repair shops sometimes have the correct pullers.

If you use a 3-jaw puller or worse- a hammer, it'll be messed up.

Yeah, I mean the freewheel sprocket. I was considering the bike shop, but I looked at their freewheel tools, and they all looked too small.

And I'm totally with you on the flywheel pulling thing. Try to cheat with a jaw puller, and you might just end up buying the correct puller, a new flywheel and possibly a crankshaft ;-)

Don Pflueger /

any bicycle shop sells the tool. they are cheap.

Seriously Don? If you take a look at the freewheel tool in the motobecane manual on mopedriders.org, I can't imagine that tool being cheap, if it's even available.

Guess I'll carry in the wheel and see if the local shop has something for it.

I still think I'm going to have to weld it, and take it off with a vise or pipe wrench. It's totally shot, so not like the weld is going to hurt anything.

Don Pflueger /

do you kmow what brand freewheel it is? there are many. and many tools. look up www.danscomp.com to see if they have the tool to fit yours. they have the cheapest prices for bikew parts that ive ever seen.

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

i got my freewheel apart and then off with nothing more than a scratch awl and a hammer. it took a little bit of time. once the top came off i was able to repack the bearings and put it all back together. if you have a new freewheel i know its not much more work to completly get the freewheel off once you have it torn down. i thought i was going to have to buy a new one for my motobecane but once i repacked everthing it worked great. like i said you may want to try that and maybe save some money.

Yes, I already have the new freewheel - came from MoPedLar - at a fair price.

The old one is truly blasted; whatever kind of bearing/bushing it has is so worn, that the freehweel sprocket has developed enough play that it's grinding metal off of the inner hub. It's also completely covered in rust; not a speck of plating to be seen.

The freewheel on my Moby is branded "Atom"

Don Pflueger /

ok. thats a fairly popular model. i think it has 4 slots that the tool sets in to remove it? its been awhile since i looked at one. i only sell and use acs claws and shimano's.

Ok, got it off without the tool. See my new post about it.. thanks for all the comments.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account