Streetmate keeps shutting down

I'm in the process of breaking in my 05 Streetmate. On several occasions the bike has acted as if it has run out of gas. If I put the choke on, it gives me enough power to find a safe place to pull over, but it still dies. Then after letting it sit for a minute, it fires right up. But then it does it about every 200 yards or so until I get where I'm going. The only consistent thing is if this happens, I know I'm about 1/3 of a gallon from full. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Re: Streetmate keeps shutting down

I think that model has oil injection. Is the oil tank empty? Are you aware that if the enigine could be seizing. Make sure that your not supposed to be mixing oil in with the gas.

Karl

Thats the first thing I thought of,but the oil pump is full and working. And this stalling problem is really intermittent. (Once last week, twice today.)

Louie Armstrong /

How have you been breaking it in? Have you been going full speed, revving the engine fully?

Louie

Slow, easy starts, no full throttle, top speed 25.

Try the reserve tank...my lx did the same thing but it was just the gas in has to on like a full tank.

"Try the reserve tank…my lx did the same thing but it was just the gas in has to on like a full tank."

I actually did that once and it ran fine afterwards. I wonder why that is?

I own a streetmate and it will run out of gas between 30-50 miles before I need to switch to reserve. Reserve will only last about 20 miles. When you fill your tank be sure that you are pushing the black air bleed button on the right front frame fork area. If you are not doing this you can only go about 20 miles till you need to switch to reserve.

is this going on in a wintry (snowy) area? The salt and what not on the spark plug causes it to short out...Longer spark plug cap is the cure for that situation, but sounds like you have a different problem.

I don't have any snow here, but I'm gonna change the spark plug anyway, just to see.

Don Pflueger /

take it to the dealer and have them clean the gas cap vent. it should be under warranty

I had the same problem with my stock streetmate when it was cold out...after it started getting temps above 25 degres, it ran perfect. are you using the little black button in front of the glove-box to bleed all the air outa the gas tank?

StreetMate's have TOO long a pipette coming up from the petcock. You can remove the petcock and shorten the little intake pipe. I haven't done it yet,but I will soon.

Another thing with StreetMates is that you must have the airbox secured properly or it will seem to be running out of gas and it loses a lot of power. Been there.....done that!

I am also gonna fit a smaller see-thru type gas filter immediately off the petcock.

And as someone else already said...........it may look full,but it isn't,if you don't hold the bleed button in while topping up. don-ohio (:^D

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account