tranny oil

Matthew Scholtens /

I have a 1980 Honda no-ped express with about 2300 miles on it. I am uncertain when the transmission oil was last changed. I would love to give it one, but I am very nervous. I am worried that things will not work right after I change it or that something might break. Give me the reassurance that this is a good thing to do. Part of me wants to do it, the other half thinks "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Please set me straight.

Matthew

Re: tranny oil

you're not going to break anything just by changing the tranny fluid... if you _dont_ change it the likelihood of something breaking will increase. use type-f transmission fluid. I changed my transmission fluid after the winter passed and it's been running much better than before

Matthew Scholtens /

Running better than before, huh? Okay, I will go and pick up some fluid and give it a whirl. Thanks for convincing me.

Matthew

Jonas Quimby /

The Express doesnt use tranny fluid. It uses non-synthetic SAE-30 motor oil.

It holds 0.8 of a quart, or a full quart if you ever have to dismantle the transmission and fully drain it.

There's a drain screw along the bottom edge of the transmission, and the filler plug on the front of the transmission.

Matthew Scholtens /

Jax184 - Thanks for the clarification. I looked through the manual after I posted it and realized that I was talking about the wrong stuff. Is there a SAE-30 brand oil that you prefer?

Thanks,

Matthew

Jonas Quimby /

I just use a normal high quality SAE-30. I would suggest that you NOT buy synthetic or "high mileage" oil, as another Express owner is having problems that seem to be related to use of synthetic oil.

We dont know for sure, but you might as well just get normal oil to be on the safe side. The transmission will be okay with it.

Matthew Scholtens /

Jax184,

I drained the oil from the transmission. As I was waiting, I was reading through the manual and saw the specs pointing out to use 10W-40 oil in the case. Are you using straight SAE 30 oil? I forget the viscosity differences between the two, but I know they are different. Can you clarify for me? Thanks.

Matthew Scholtens

Jonas Quimby /

Which manual said this?

I know of 4 Honda Express manuals, and they differ a bit.

Straight 30 weight is officially what you're supposed to use, and they also list a few others you can use if you cant get straight 30.

Matthew Scholtens /

I found this one on the mopedriders website. It was in the addendum section for the 1980 NA 50. Although, I have noticed discrepancies throughout the manual. Should I just stick with the 30 wt.? Thanks.

Matthew Scholtens

Matthew Scholtens /

What manuals are you using or where did you find the info about the 30 wt vs. 10w-40?

Also, how did you refill the transmission? I know about the overfill bolt, but it does not look like it will be easy to fill. Did you just take off the L-cover and lay the bike on its side? If so, is there a way to do that without emptying the gas and oil tanks?

Sorry about all the questions, thanks for the ideas.

Matthew Scholtens

Jonas Quimby /

Dont take off the cover, just make an angle funnel out of a few pages of a magazine or something and full it through the bolt on the front of the tranny.

I have 3 Express manuals, the Honda manual, the Clymer manual and the Haynes. They say to use SAE-30 if you can get it, and then suggest the others to use only if you cant find SAE-30.

Matthew Scholtens /

Thanks for the tip about the angle funnel. That will work perfectly.

I will use the SAE-30 oil which is great since I already bought a quart of it. Thank you for letting me know about what the other manuals say. Your knowledge is very valuable and appreciated.

Matthew Scholtens

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account