QT 50 won't run on run...

I seem to have a slight issue with my QT 50. It will run fine when the switch is on start. Only problem is on start it won't let you increase the speed. Just for warming up. But once i switch it to run it cuts the motor out. If I take and flip the switch from start to run it will eventually start running and letting me use the throttle. I have checked the ignition switch and it looks fine. No broken wires or connections. I check them all through the harness wiht a meter. Could something in the CDI ignition be messing up? I have two boxes behind the seat, square black boxes. I looked in the shop manual but they don't seem to show what they are. My guess is part of the CDI system. I have yet to pull the flywheel off to check anything in there. Since it does start I'm jsut wondering what gets triggers when i change the switch to run that allows it to advance the timing and let you use the throttle. Any help would be appreciated. I'm not sure if any of you have had the same issue or not.

Re: QT 50 won't run on run...

Does the "start" switch engage the choke in the carb? If so you may have air or gas flow problems. Clean your carb, airbox, fuel lines, fuel filter, etc.

Hi brian,

Nope the choke is seperate, this is all electrical. The carb is clean and seems to be operating fine. When i pull the spark plug out i get intermitten spark when i put it to run, in the start position it sparks perfect. Not sure why when i flip the switch a bunch of times it allows it to run sometimes. Gas flow, oil flow everything else seems to be runnning fine. All of the harnesses seem to be fine also. I did a continuity test on that already.

Sounds like you have a bad switch. If it tests OK with a meter, that doesn't tell the whole story. It is possible that it's making just a hair of contact, which will read OK on a meter, but when it comes time to deliver power, the connection breaks down.

Spary some electrical contact cleaner into the switch, and cycle it on-off-on etc about 50 times, then try it. If it improves, spray it again, and cycle it 50 more times.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account