Columbia commuter parts availability?

Is it possible to find parts for a columbia commuter? i am looking at one for sale. From what i can see it is missing a front wheel,carb,exhaust and igniton. If i do buy it, it will be for a very low price so it might just be parts, but it would be nice to add another ped to the fleet.

Re: Columbia commuter parts availability?

Saabsonettguy,

These mopeds are great mopeds. I own one and soon I'll be getting another one. Handy bikes is an excellent source for parts. Prices are reasonable and they're NOS.

Which engine is on that moped? These came with the option of two different engines. The Solo, and the Sachs. The Sachs has a long exhaust pipe. The Solo has a weird looking alumnium exhaust that doesn't extend past the pedals. Either way, its a good moped. But if it has a Solo motor, these are awesome engines.

If it does have the solo motor, I can help you out with sources and stuff related to repairs. I'm pretty familiar with these engines.

EK

Saabsonettguy . /

The one I am looking at has the solo motor.

Saabsonettguy,

Then it's a good one. These engines last a long time and it's the only stock water-cooled motor I've heard of. It has a static sleeve around the cylinder of which you fill with water and anti-freeze. Usually, it only needs to be filled maybe once a year or even once every 2-3 years. If you get the moped, I'll be more than happy to give you more specs on the ratio and the location of where to put the water/antifreeze mixture in.

Just a note, these engines have a lot of compression and is stronger than most moped engines. (2.6 hp, 49cc) So, you'd be better off pedalling the moped like a bicycle on the road, off the kickstand and press on the clutch to get it started, rather than start it on the kickstand. Much easier and you don't kill your kickstand.

My motor starts up usually in just 3-7 feet of pedalling in distance, which is pretty good. I know of a source where you can get a NOS brand new never fired Solo engine for approximately 125.00 shipped to your door. It also includes carb, exhaust. Amazing deal.

The Columbia mopeds were also known as Montgomery Ward, Columbia, and KKM. The moped was originally made by Columbia, and the engine came from Germany. Later, Montgomery Ward bought it out and slapped their sticker on it. Later, KKM bought it and called it "KKM Mopet" (yes, with a T. I don't know why)

Parts are very easy to come by at Handy Bikes and the prices are pretty reasonable. Although, stay away from their accessory switch. Most of them are cracked. Everything else is excellent.

KKM recently, about a year or two ago, went out of business, so Handy Bikes probably bought up a large chunk of KKM as well as this other guy, Steve Tietjen, of whom bought out a lot of Solo Engines.

It seems that there are only a few people that knows anything about them, and I'm one of them. If you bought that moped, keep in touch, I'll be glad to help out a fellow Columbia owner.

EK

Re: Well I got it.

Saabsonettguy . /

Well i bought the columbia.

Good news is the motor turns over good,the exhaust is there and the electronics are there.

Bad news is the Carb is missing,it needs rings, the tank is a mess inside, the cables are a mess, and the bike is pretty much a mess.

So i gotta give Handy Bikes a call.

But i took pics. http://photobucket.com/albums/y37/saabsonettguy/My%20vehicles/columbia/

Saabsonettguy,

I know it's a mess, but the good news is, they're very easy to work on. As soon as you got it all fixed up and running, you'll be very happy. I'm sure of it. :o)

That static sleeve around the cylinder- that's where the anti-freeze/water mix goes. Looks like it could use some.

If you got bucks to spend, I do know where you can find a brand new NOS solo engine that includes a carb and exhaust for around $125.00 shipped. If you want the contact information, let me know. I'll give it to you. :o)

That clutch on that moped is very much sought after by many people. Make sure you take a good care of that clutch. They're hard to find. The clutch is VERY easy to work on and VERY EASY to take off. No hammering or any of that crap. Just pull by hand. Should come right off. (after you remove the pins of course smile)

If you needed the part number for the parts, give me a shout. I have a manual here and I can give you the part numbers so that handy bikes will know exactly what to give to you. Just a reminder, handy bikes knows them as "KKM" mopeds.

EK

Saabsonettguy . /

I have a question for you since you seem to know these peds. On the outer most part of the clutch there seems to be a ball bearing in the middle of the cover, should it be loose and free to spin or stuck to the outer cover? I thought it might be rusted there but wanted to know before i tried to remove it. The rest of the clutch seems to be in good shape.

Thanks,

Grey

Grey,

I believe that bearing you're talking about is the one that's on the flange bushing. My clutch had that stuck on the flange bushing, but according to my schematic chart, it should be removable.

Personally, I would just leave that alone. Clean it, and put grease on the bearings. You could test it by pedalling. How does it move? Does it squeak? Remove the spark plug and pedal, then engage the clutch. Does it seem difficult to pedal? If not, then its best to clean it and grease it and leave it alone. :o)

The clutch for these motors are pretty simple and doesn't really cause any problems. There shouldn't be any rust in there... If there's any, then it probably was exposed to the rain or worse, snow.

If you grinded about 2-3mm off the flange bushing (the end that has the wide area on it) it will increase the end speed a little bit.

Good luck,

EK

Saabsonettguy . /

I think this bike sat outside too long to be fixable, It will be used for parts. The water fill screw is striped out and stuck to the head, the cylinder and the piston are scrached up with a small amount of surface rust at the top of the bore.The gas tank is rusted through is spots,the rear sprocket is trash. Really a shame it is a real neat motor, maybe i will come across another one in better shape. At least i only paid 25 dollars for it so it wasnt a loss if i can use or sell some parts. What i decide not to keep i'll email you about and you can have first call on parts.

Thanks,

Grey

Grey,

I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out as you hoped. I do know of a guy that would kill for the clutch. He might be willing to pay as much as $25 for the clutch alone if you decide to sell off the parts.

As for me, the only thing I'd really need/want would be the switches, odometer/odometer cable/odometer drive, and definitely both springs that holds the engine up. But that's about it..

Again, it sucks that it didn't work out for ya. Maybe it'll make a good parts moped if you do run into a running one.

EK

Saabsonettguy . /

I got some pics up of some of the parts, I do have the springs and the speedometer.I also uploaded some pics of the clutch.If you want to hook me up with like 5.00 or somthing to cover shipping, the springs and speedometer are yours.

Saabsonettguy,

That sounds good to me. :o) I'm interested in the speedometer and the springs. I would be happy to send you $10.00 for them, rather than $5. My email address is DechathamRIT@yahoo.com

As for the clutch, I'm going to email this guy for you on your behalf and hook you up. His name is Rico, and he has posted on this site often. He'll definitely be interested.

EK

Saabsonettguy,

I emailed Rico, so he probably will be posting here soon if he still wants the clutch. He's been looking for a while now, so chances are he'll definitely be interested.

EK

Re: well, hook a brother up!!

Ricardo Bowring /

saabsonettguy, I'll take it hey my email addy is in my click on it anyways yes , yes,, yes!!!!!! thank you EK!!! ride on...

Rico,

No problem. :o) I know that everybody involved will benefit here, after all, that's what the Moped Army is for... :o)

EK

Saabsonettguy . /

Saabsonettguy . /

E-mails Sent.

Thanks,

Grey

Saabsonettguy,

I have mailed the $10 cash to you today. :) Thanks again.

EK

Ricardo Bowring /

money sent 5-4

Saabsonettguy . /

Everything is packed and ready to go.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account