General Spark but No Spark

We have a General 5star moped with no spark. When we open up the points and do a 6 Volt battery test it sparks. But when we try to get the flywheel to make the bike start it doesnt work. We have taken the flywheel off numerous times along with cleaning and resetting the points, still no luck. Could the problem be the wiring? It seems like it wouldnt spark with the battery if the wiring was messed up. Im at a loss anyone have any ideas?

Re: General Spark but No Spark

anything?

the battery test was proof of the point operating. does it have a coil pack leading to the spark plug, and i would try a new plugs

Always make sure the taillight bulb is good.............no kidding! Some bikes won't spark if the taillight bulb burns out. don-ohio

even after we spark tested it with the battery the bulb could still be the problem?? i will give it a shot. any other suggestions?

we tested the bulb and it was good(unfortunately!). we are trying to rewire it with the least amount of wires possible. when we got the ped and opened it up, it was sparkling clean inside, so im thinking it might be something external? could be wrong... oh also it actually came with a key to the fork lock, and it would only spark(with the battery) when the forks were locked. would that be an indication that the wiring may be messed up?

if the bike sparks when the forks are locked, then maybe because of the position the forks are in when locked the forks are hitting a wire on the back of the horn and grounding everything out?

i know of a few bikes that wont spark when the horn is unplugged and not properly grounded

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account