test spark plug

I just got a moped that needs work and i cant find a spark plug remover. What if you stick your finger in the spark plug connector thing and try to start it will you get shocked so you know its working? I tryed it and didnt get shocked some one try with a moped that works and tell me how it goes.

Re: test spark plug

WOW, do NOT stick your hand where the plug is to check for a spark. Depending on how fast that magneto is spinning you'll be in for quite a few bold awakenings. The tool I use to remove my spark plug is quite bootleg, i don't even know the name for it but it works quite well. If you want to test for a spark just shove another spark plug into the coil then place it on the moped frame so the spark bleeds off through the bike and into the ground. Do it somewhere dark so you can see the spark, if your spark is not strong ( a blue colour) clean your points with light sand-paper and tissue by prying them open. If you get NO spark open your flywheel and check the timing to make sure that the points open when the flywheel is in TDC (top dead centre) and closes after TDC. Since you can't get your sparkplug out you're in a spot of trouble because if you can't tell by feeling the piston or by the label on the flywheel where TDC is then it's going to be the ultimate guessing game for you. I'm getting kinda lazy right now so:

http://www.mopedriders.org/html/manuals/puch/sm/puchsm.htm

i hope it helps b/c my fingers hurt now.

Don Pflueger /

spark plug sizes are either 5/8", 3/4", or 13/16". go buy a deep well socket set and a ratchet to remove the plug.

Ever heard the phrase "Accidentally lie down forever"?

There are several good ways to check for spark, but your hand is not one of them.

Courtis Fuller /

This one time.. I had my shirt off, my chest was touching the gas cap of the motorcycle and I touched the sparkplug wire while the bike was running. It shocked me so bad, lol.

Plug tool

Maybe the plug is situated as in a Motobecane.. I can't even get a standard plug socket over my plug to use a wrench. The stock Motobecane tool is a little half-socket thing, with a wire bail as a lever. If I can't find one soon, I'll have to make something.

The way i figured my plug was bad on my tomos bullet was having my thumb down in the plug boot. i had been trying for days for spark and nothing so i figured what the hey, when i kicked it over it licked me 4 times. my dad was standing 20ft away in the garage and he herd it snap me. i think i read some where a coil puts out 20,000 volts but no amperage, so it will hurt, but wont kill ya. i wouldnt suggest using your finger as a spark tester because you gonna get a rude awakening!

Don Pflueger /

look for my cheap tools thread and build a spark tester

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account