Need help with puch engine...

James Foster /

Hi guys,

I really need some advice on why my Puch free spirit isn't running right. It won't idle worth anything, and bogs badly when you hold the throttle open. Here's what I've got on it;

70cc airsal kit

14mm stock carb with after-market air cleaner

14mm intake manifold

tecno estoril exhaust

I've checked compression, electrical(for spark and timing), and I've tried multiple different jets in the carb(70-78). But no matter what I do, nothing seems to make it better. What could it be?

Thanks in advance,

JF

Re: Need help with puch engine...

Referring to the 70cc kit, the aftermarket air cleaner, and the Estoril exhaust:

Did you make all of these changes at once? Did it ever run right with all of these modifications?

James Foster /
jf OP

No, but the 70cc kit and the air cleaner used to work fine, until late last year. For some strange reason, it started having all around issues, and I fixed most of them, but now some of them(mentioned in the first post) are returning. The only significant modifications were; transfer ports on the crankcase were slightly modified to evenly match up with the ports on the jug, and I went from a biturbo to a tecno estoril exhaust. Those are the only significant mods that were recently done to it. I think I'll just go over the whole engine all over again, start from square one, and go from there. Let me know if you have any suggestions...

JF

perhaps the airflow is being restricted somehow and it's boggind down that way? clean your air filter and also check to see if your choke plate moves up and down when you press it, if not you could be flooding your engine repeatedly. If all else failes reinstall your original jet whatever it may be and do some plug chops.

James Foster /
jf OP

True that, might try that tomorrow when I get the time to work on it. Like I said, I might consider just tearing the whole engine down, and start from the beginning, and clean _everything_ really well...

Thanks for the tip,

JF

Smitty Smith /

I'd suggest running a smaller jet. I just broke-in the same engine. #60 was too rich, and #55 runs great. Got clocked by radar at 50mph (with a 45mph cross-wind!!!). Try a leaner jet.

James Foster /
jf OP

Very interesting, I might try that too.

thanks,

JF

Re: Honda engine IDs

Anyone know if the '86 and '87 Honda Spree NQ engines are the same as the '88 SB50 Elite engines? Got the '88 manual and the bike seems real similar. Just found out by accident last week that the '81 NX Express SR engine is the same as the '82 Urban Express NU engine. If they did that once, why not do it again?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account