if your fuel was to rich can you...

i did have a brand new plug look black/fouling?? someone suggested to rich of mixed fuel. is it ok to but some regular unleaded (origianly used) directly into the tank? thanks, -tim

Re: if your fuel was to rich can you...

You can add plain unleaded gas directly to the tank, if you are trying to dilute the oil/gas mixture. Just give it a good shaking to make sure it's all mixed together.

Just remember: If you have half a gallon of 32:1 in the tank, and you add another half-gallon of unleaded, you'll have a 16:1 mix in the tank.. Don't burn it down.. are you sure you have a plug with the correct heat range?

What oil/fuel ratio were you using, that gave you the fouled plug?

Actually,I think that's backwards Legendre. If he adds straight gas to a 32:1 he goes to a higher gas to oil ratio,which will burn too lean and not lubricate. I have been up all night and day so maybe I read it wrong? don-ohio

proper math

64 ounces (1/2 gallon) at 32:1 added to 1/2 gallon of pure fuel becomes 1 gallon of 64 to 1. guess you could do it that way but my suggestion is to drain your tank and start over. just safer for your engine that way.

Re: proper math

the sticker on the tank says 50:1 is that 1 gallon of gas and 2.6oz oil?

10-four thank you -tim

Don Pflueger /

if you do that you may end up too lean and sieze cuz you wont know your exact ratio. you should use a 40:1 mix in a batavus, not the original 25:1 that the manufacturer states.

if your oil mix was too rich, your plug will look oily. if its black and sooty, its getting too much gas.

Don Pflueger /

"Just remember: If you have half a gallon of 32:1 in the tank, and you add another half-gallon of unleaded, you’ll have a 16:1 mix in the tank.. Don’t burn it down.. are you sure you have a plug with the correct heat range?

"

ummmmmmm. if you have a half gallon of 32:1 in the tank, and add another half gallon of straight gas, your mix will now be 64:1. way too lean.

its 32 parts gas to one part oil, or 32:1

16:1 is 16 parts gas to 1 part oil.

so doubling your amount of gas would double the first number 32+32=64, not 16

You were correct Don

Sigh, 64:1, not 16:1. what was I thinking.

(I went to public school ;)

hi, don it did look, like you said black and sooty, i know now the choke was stuck,and it hasn't happened again to the new plug. hey does the idle screw have to be set onto the side of the throttle valve? or does the throtle valve sit on top of the point at the end of the idle screw? i'm trying to get a mental picture of what is happening inside the carb in reguards to the idle screw. -tim

Don Pflueger /

the slide sits on top od the point on the screw. when you turn the screw in or out, the angle moves in or out allowing the slide to sit higher or lower depending on what you need.

correct adjustment is this.

start the bike up and warm it up. while the bike is parked on its center stand, adjust the screw inward until the fastest idle is attained without the rear wheel spinning.

now, when i adjust them, i let the rear wheel turn just fast enough that i can easily grab it and stop it with my hand. but any faster, the bike may try to drive away as soon as the wheel hits the ground.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account