Tomos Bullet Help!

We got a Bullet about a week ago, and I've dismantled it to fix some of the issues. The piston was stuck in the cylinder so I hammered it out and ordered another piston.

Once I got the cylinder off, the piston moved freely up and down. I got the piston in today, and went to install it - now the piston shaft wont budge! It's like it's frozen up inside of it. I cracked open the crankcase to take a look, and everything in there looks fine.

What's the deal? What should I look for when troubleshooting this?

Thanks,

Beamer

Re: Tomos Bullet Help!

Don Pflueger /

did you hone the cylinder?

How hard did you hit it when you hammered it out? Do you mean the crankshaft is seized? don-ohio

I have the complete cylinder off now, I'm just trying to get the crankshaft to move.

Hmm... we hit it kinda hard? It was turning fine when we took the piston off, it just refuses to turn now.

Don Pflueger /

check the simple things. look at the flywheel to see if something may be lodged in it. thats common.

Don Pflueger /

are you sure a circlip or needle bearing did not drop into the crankcase when you took the piston off? and when you were removing the piston, was the engine able to roll over 360 degrees? you may have bent the crank in the center when you were hitting the piston.

I'm sure it's possible something fell in there - I was really careful, but who knows.

After I took the piston off I could rotate it a full 360. What's the next step on finding out what it is? I couldn't figure out how to compeletely open the engine, I only got the side off with the gears inside.

Also - I tried removing the flywheel off the magneto by unscrewing the big nut - but it wouldn't come off. I couldn't find anything that was actually holding it on there. It will rotate like 1cm in both directions, but nothing more.

Okay I went back inside of it to check it out further - still no f'in clue. I tried following the manual to disassemble the casing, but I got stuck, so I decided to just leave it alone before I break something.

Are you or anybody else interested in repair work? I can mail the engine out and pay whatever for somebody to try to fix this issue. I can't spend too terribly much - I paid $63 for the bike itself. But I really want to get this fixed asap! Email me if your interested.

Thanks,

Beamer

Don Pflueger /

i can fix it, but the shipping cost would probably be more than the repair.

to remove the flywheel, you need to use a puller. a three jaw type is the best. dont hit the flywheel itself with a hammer. you can thread the flywheel nut on the end of the crank flush with the end of the crank, then insert a screwdriver under the flywheel and apply a firm yet not forceful pressure, and then rap the end of the crankshaft with very quick and sharp blow with a hammer. but you want to make sure you hit it squarely otherwise you will damage threads. the nut kinda helps protect the threads, but its not fullproof. it really sounds to me like something fell into the crank case. have you tried turning it upside down and shaking whatever might be in there out?

See I took off the nut, and give some force with a screwdriver and the thing wouldn't budge. I don't understand it at all.

I turned the case upside down and shook the living hell out of it. Some little crap came out - but nothing rattles or nothing big came out. I found a good looking crankshaft on eBay, mine isn't the best looking in there, and mine might need to be replaced.

Anyways, I know it sounds silly - but how much would you charge for doing the repair work?

Dave from MJY says that my first gear is mot likely worn. He said the paws get locked inside the gear. Do you agree with his diagnosis?

Don Pflueger /

i cant really qoute a price without seeing it. it may be something simple, or it may be major. either way, i'd probably be way off. something you may want to consider is;

go over to the mra and look up tabpat. he is in waco texas. he may be able to look at it for you. it would save you some shipping cost. as for me, i'm so backed up in lawn mower service it might be 3 weeks from the time i recieve it till i can look at it. if i lived down there, i'd look at it for you for nothing, and then i'd be better able to qoute a repair price.

since you have the transmission cover off, remove the gear that rides on the crank to drive the transmission. that will isolate the problem to either the crankshaft, or transmission.

Don Pflueger /

no. but i havent been inside an a3 tranny in years.

Philip Arnold /

Just to let you know Beamer I just shipped an engine to Smitty@ SmC mopeds and customs in Myrtle Beach SC, I'm only 5 hours away but it only cost me 25 bucks to ship 3 day select UPS with insurance.

Damon

Okay he says that he wouldn't know how to fix it. And he suggested the shipping would be $30 each way. Good lord!

I'm stuck!

I'd pull the clutch and the gears off if I could get them to budge - I feel stupid but they seriously won't move.

Maybe shipping it will be worth it...

Don Pflueger /

yea i dont know how much shipping would be. i have a honda express engine that i'm shipping to myrtle beach and that cost $38.81. so i would think to ship one from austin texas has to be a bit more. there are breakdowns on mra that show how to disassemble that engine. they are quite simple to do. basically i would just separate the transmission from the crank and go from there to determine whats wrong.

I'm not sure what Shipping plan you are using but there is a Flat rate Priority for USPS that is pretty cheap... you may want to look into it.. I shipped a Biturbo from Boston to NJ for 7.00!

They have the special boxes right at the Post office for free and they can tell you the deal!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account