Over heating clutch?

Nick Napolitano /

I ride a 2001 Cosmo Stinger that seems to stall out when coming to a stop. This only occurs after I've been riding it for an hour or so. It does not want to idol at all after that. It may be that the clutch is bad or the heavy stopping and going I do. I mean constently going from 40MPH to a stand still can't be too good for it. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Re: Over heating clutch?

My experience has been that overheated clutches slip. Perhaps your idle mixture is set too lean. The other consideration is that on deceleration carburated engines tend to go way rich, perhaps you have an old plug that's fouling out.

Perry Manessis /

Nick, you should replace the rubber clutches. Call Walt @ J&J, 623-931-4060. It sounds like they are expanding when hot but not retracting. Also, check to make sure the clutch drum assembly is freewheeling on the crankshaft.

Perry Manessis /

This is very common on the Garelli based rubber clutch system. Old clutches loose their elasticity and eventually just stay expanded. go to this site http://www.mopedriders.org/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=42 it is the Garelli repair manual. Look in the tranny section. Remeber that this is the VIP 2 speed motor aka Grand Sport Twin, pages 70-74. The Garelli repair manual has both the NOI and VIP trannie in there so don't get confused. Print the tranny diagram on page 70 & 71. If you need any more info. PM me.

Perry Manessis /

PS, Garelli trannies are probably the easiest trannies to work on.

I don't think its the clutch... I think your engine just warms up and when engines get hotter the idle drops... adjust your idle screw when the engine is hot!

Perry Manessis /

There is a way to test if it's the rubber clutches. When the ped does this, put it on the center stand and see if it idles. Let it idle, then hit the rear brake and see if it cuts out. If it cuts out, then it's the rubber clutches. Like I said earlier, this is common on the Garelli rubber clutches when they get old. Garelli's use rubber clutch bands, not friction shoes.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account