Thinking about buying a Puch 1978 need advise

Hey hey....

I am thinking about buying a 1978 Puch from a guy in WI, it is missing the air box.

How hard will it be (1) to find one for this model & (2) to install it.

I have no experience with mopeds to date.

Thanks for any tips!

Bill

Re: Thinking about buying a Puch 1978 need advise

Who needs it? Probably not you. Otherwise watch ebay of course.

one of the most easy thing to install

Thanks for the response gb,.....

Dmatthewb - I might be reading your comment incorrectly (again I am super new to this) but are you implying that you can run a ped without an air filter? What happens if it rains?

Thanks again, keep the advice comming!

Bill

you need an airbox for it to run right.. you can pick up a brand new one for 20 bucks

Thanks Fratbone....

can anyone tell me how generic air boxes are.... would an airbox from any puch work for a 1978? Or would simply an airbox from any other moped work?

Thanks,

Bill

depends

it depends. there's box and tube shaped filter units. the puch cobra one spd i have runs a tube shaped. if the connection is the right size you can run any box. don't remember off the top of my head what the sizes are, and if the one you are looking at is a two spd it may be a whole different ball game. that said if you get a puch running real well it's a major joy. they are in my opinion one of the top mopeds ever made. there's a ton of puch expertise here and at www.mopedriders.com even if the engine is totally seized you can find parts to get it running again.

Re: depends

Louie Armstrong /

Bill-

Assuming that it is a Maxi or a Newport (not a Magnum or Cobra) this hould fit fine...

http://mopedwarehouse.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_60/products_id/160

Welcome to Moped Army! Yeah, i think you have to buy it! I have one, the most powerful and reliable bike! I installed an K&N air filter adjusted the carb, runs and starts great, first kick its running!!! How much you're paying for it? If it's not a secret! You will have no problems finding the filter, check the E-Bay if you want, Puch's are fun, just grab it! I would get one more if I could, there's not many of them in CA! GOOD LUCK!

Ilya

Leon Swarmer /

Bill,

I bought a 77 last weekand love it. I took a gamble on one that wasn't running and it paid off. you might not want to do that though.

see

http://www.mopedarmy.com/resources/articles/buyingused/

for a good way to look at a used ped.

An air cleaner is not a big deal at all either to find or to install.

Leon

2spd maxi is the same air box as 1spd maxi, i believe

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account