Yamaha QT50 won't started

Peter Frank /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I've been working on restoring a 1980 Yamaha QT50 for the past few months. I can't get it to start for the life of me. I've rebuilt the carb with new jets and gasket. I have a new cdi coil. New spark plug that has a good constant spark. I've tested for compression and there's plenty of it. I've replaced the battery. The gas tank has been kreemed. Replaced the muffler. Replaced the throttle cable too.

I think the problem may be one of a few things. The oil does not appear to be getting to the carb. The oil line from the autolube pump to the carb is clean, when I open the throttle, the autolube pump is supposed to let oil into the oil line, but nothing comes out. I have plenty of fresh oil in the tank. Would this prevent it from starting?

Another issue is the muffler. Before I put it on I shook it and noticed a lot of stuff moving around inside. I'm going to heat it over a fire to burn off whatever's in there. I don't think the muffler's clogged though because when I kickstart it, smoke comes out.

Another issue could be that gas is not getting from the carb to the cylinder. When I put my hand over the opening of the carb while kickstarting it, there is suction. Also smoke comes out of the carb when I kickstart it.

I would really appreciate any suggestions. I've had this moped too long and had no success, so I'm about to give up and bring it into a shop.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account