tomos won't shift????

Nolan Gherity /

hey, i recently got a 85 tomos a3sp running, and everthing was going good until i tried to ride it. It works fine in its low gear, but then starts jerking randomly when i get to the speed where it would shift up. I put fresh ATF oil in, and used the (side drain??) to get it at the proper level. Is there anything I can do easily, or will i have to take it all apart.

thanks,

nolan

p.s. thick white smoke from the exhaust = carbon buildup??

Re: tomos won't shift????

Don Pflueger /

sounds like you need to open it up

Nolan Gherity /

would i need to buy new seals then?

Don Pflueger /

i would.

Nolan Gherity /

well i rode it again, and it just jerks a bit while shifting

if i hop on the seat a bit it goes right into gear.

could it be the oil? i used ATF.

just trying to think of as many things i can before taking off the cover and thus needing a gasket, oil, etc.

the case gasket usually doesn't break

Nolan Gherity /

well we opened her up and swapped the clutches. that fixed the shifting jitters. It still shifts waaayy to slowly though. could timing be the problem? i basically just threw the points/ electronics in there.

thanks

Don Pflueger /

what type of atf?

Don Pflueger /

timing has nothing to do with shifting.

Nolan Gherity /

what could be causing the slow shifting then?

the exhaust and air filter/ carb etc. might be pretty clogged up..

im using ATF automatic transmission fluid.

Don Pflueger /

wrong fluid, over filled gear box, binding on the shaft. numerous things can cause it.

Nolan Gherity /

does timing affect the RPMs?

it just seems like it cant quite reach the ramp where it would shift, not to mention that it only goes 20 mph.

how do you adjust the timing, trial and error?

Don Pflueger /

if the engine cant rev high enough then yes that may affect shifting. timing is adjusted by lining up the timing marks, set the points at .014"-.016", then adjust the stator plate so that they just break at the specified point that the service manual says, which i think is like 2mm btdc.

Nolan Gherity /

timing marks? i was looking all over everything for those but couldnt find them. Ill have to look again now that i know they exist.

Don Pflueger /

read the service manual at www.mopedriders.org in the moped repair section.

The reason your tranny is not shifting is because there's not enough power being generated by the engine. Could be a number of things.

Nolan Gherity /

thats what i was thinking, freddie. thanks for the varification.

i have this stuff in check:

exhaust is for the most part clean

electrical is good

tranny is good

proper amount of tranny fluid

fuel line good

seems like i should.. clean the carb?

Don Pflueger /

i would

make sure your throttle is pulling up the slide all the way. you might have to adjust throttle slide.

Nolan Gherity /

how do i adjust the throttle slide?

i think that might be the problem because it bogs if i even LOOK at the throttle.

hmmpgh. idles good without throttle

Don Pflueger /

all you do is adjust the throttle cable so that when full throttle is reached, the choke will click off. and you do that by running all the barrel adjusters in, then loosen the cable clamp screw on the throttle control, pull the wire tight, tighten the cable clamp screw, then readjust the barrels back out until the choke clicks off at full throttle.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account