Hole in my block??

Louie Armstrong /

See the picture.

I tore down a 78' Puch this weekend. It was pretty bad.

Once I got to the engine, I noticed a small hole in the side. It didn't look normal, but now my question is:

Will this affect anything? (well, of course it will.)

Is there any way to fix it? (epoxy? soldering?)

Will I need to buy a new engine or engine casing?

Any help is appreciated and any neccessary questions can be answered.

Louie

1113773433_dscf01513.jpg

Re: Hole in my block??

Louie Armstrong /

bump

It is hard to see but a hole in that location is usually to channel oil that collects on the crankcase wall down to the main bearing.

Is the hole nice and reoun like it was drilled, or is it real ragged like something knocked it there?

The bottom of your piston looks like the mice have been nibbling at it. Did the piston break up?

Louie Armstrong /

Heres a way brightened crop.

The piston crumbled just a bit... It needs to be replaced anyways.

It was kind of ragged.

1113929252_dscf01512.jpg

This might have been just a casting flaw.

Is the hole thru to the outside of the crankcase?

If so, then the only proper fix is to take the crankcase apart and have it welded up.

I can't tell exactly what hole you are referring to, but:

If it's open to the atmosphere, yes, that's a problem. Engine will never run right, if at all. I have repaired two-stroke crankcase holes with JB-Weld before.

However, as silverfox pointed out, it may be an oil channel to the main bearings. You'll need to do a complete teardown in any case (pun), and when it's all apart the purpose of the hole will be obvious.

By the way, this engine looks like it had a horrible seizure. Piston skirt is shattered, the rings and ring-lands are galled to death. The brown areas on the piston look like it was run for a while with the rings partially seized; those sorts of stains usually come from the buring charge escaping past the rings, and into the case. Chances are the metal from the skirt made it into the crank & main bearings, seals etc. You've got a job on your hands.

Louie Armstrong /

I broke the piston by accident, but the metal is so brittle anyways that it doesn't make a difference.

I am going to replace everything, don't worry. I would never expect something like this to run in it's condition.

I will get some more pictures once I get further into tearing it apart.

Louie

Ah, it got so hot that the metal of the piston has crystalized, and become embrittled. I've seen pistons like this, you could just about crush them in your hands.

On the new photo, the placement and shape of the hole give me the impression that it's intended to be there. Teardown will tell.

TRY J&B WELD IVE USED IT ON CARBS AND A SMALL LAWN MOWER ENGINE AND IT WORKED GREAT. ANY AUTO PARTS STORE HAS IT. GOOD LUCK.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account