Magneto coil faulty on Honda NC50

James Foster /

Well, while I was taking out the magneto plate on my 80' Honda NC50, I found out that the points were misaligned. So, I took them off, realigned them, cleaned them, then put the whole thing back together. But when I checked the spark plug to see how well the spark would be, it didn't spark at all. I went over everything, and everything else checks out fine, except for the magneto (ignition) plate. When I hooked up my multi-meter to the black/white wire coming from the plate, and turned over the engine, it didn't get any reading. I now have the two coils removed from the plate, but I'm not quite sure how to attack this thing. Nothing seems broken on it, so I don't know what the problem is. :/

I've looked at all my options already, even checked the manual, but still to no avail. Has anyone encountered this problem before, and if so how did you go about fixing it?

Thanks,

JF

Re: Magneto coil faulty on Honda NC50

when you noticed the points out of alignment,would you say its because they where burnt, very old, where they operating?

if you cleaned them with any thing run a cardboard business card between them see if you get any grime coming off onto the card, and if they are wet from any cleaning thats why maybe no spark.

if any of this is not the issue i would say, are the breaker points adjusted ok and i have to ask you was the swicth in the run/on -tim

Jonas Quimby /

Make sure the points are actually opening and closing. The Express only lets you widen/narrow the point gap to change timing. And if it's too wide due to worn points, no spark.

James Foster /
jf OP

Ok, I checked them again, and they are pitted, but still provide sufficient contact to at least do something. I've tried different contact points in there, but it still didn't change the reading at all. So I've eliminated the points as being the underlined issue here for now, I just have to find out what it is...

Remember, I tested for voltage(while the magneto plate was installed) on the black/white wire coming strait from the ignition plate. Thankfully I have another honda express that runs, and I tested it's ignition plate the same way, and I got much different results. From turning over it's engine, while having a lead connected to the black/white wire alone, I got a significant amount of voltage(it made the multi-meter go out of range). 8-/

So now I know somethin' ain't right with one of the coils on the ignition plate. It's really irritating too, because it's not something simple like the points being faulty or a wire disconnected. Does anyone here happen to be, or know an electronic-oriented person that could help me with this matter? Thanks guys for you're input so far.

JF

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account