have you ever started your moped by hand

what i mean is since working on the moped i noticed turning the flywheel by hand produced spark to the plug.has anyone ever turned the enging realy fast on the 17mm nut covering the flywheel with an air tool or those old double "U" tools that they used to crank over an old car. -tim

Re: have you ever started your moped by hand

I do not think one of those double U tools would work.

I used to start my old lawnmower with a big drill motor. You can give it a try but make sure the drill is running the correct rotation.

I started my Vespa Bravo many times with a hand held electric drill and the rifgt sized socket wrench.

Courtis Fuller /

Yeah, I welded a socket onto a bit that fit my drill, I use to start my Jawa 210 all the time like that.

i started up with an electric drill, only thing is i can't get the socket off the rotor nut fast enough causing the nut to come off. then the flywheel had no nut holding it on.

i didn't realize this would happen, i need a tool that can fit into the drill(1/4 drive) but works like a ratchet. anyone know what thats called?where to buy one? -tim

one way bearing

I'm not quite following what a 'one way bearing' is and how it would solve the problem.

Do you mean something like a Torrington Clutch?

I saw a guy once in a moped wheel chair. It was a solex like contraption. He started it by peddling with his hands.

Karl

i sometimes start my puch by spinning the flywheel with my hand or foot it starts right up

one thing that works real good for starting the moped with a drill is

stick a 5/16 bolt through a razor scooter(those small kids scooters) wheel with big washers and a nut and tighten it real tight and put it in the drill then put the drill on and rub the scooter wheel against the flywheel

i can take a pic of it if you dont know what im talking about

i know what you mean! thats great!! thanks

Tim,

The bolt on the flywheel usually screws on the opposite direction. So you can simply just plug a socket at the nut, and find something that you can use between the socket and the drill. I use a piece of neatly cut oak wood strip that's exactly 1/4" around. Fits in the socket perfectly. The other end has been tapered to fit the drill. It works great.

I've gotten hard-to-start mopeds started this way. But it should be only as a temporary measure, as it should start right up if cleaned & tuned properly.

EK

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account