Chain Removal Tomos?

Do I use a screwdriver to pop off the master link on the chain?

Can I put the same master clip back on?

Do they break easily?

What to do if it breaks?

Is there a certain way to put it back on?

Thanks,

ARt

getting ready for tomorrows race at Circleville, OH.

Re: Chain Removal Tomos?

You can use a flat-head screwdriver...

You can use the same master clip (just be careful not to bend it)...

If you do break it or distort it you can either pound it out a little if it's not too bad, or go to a motorcycle shop or moped shop and get a 415 sized Master Link for like 75 cents.

It goes on either way, both of the ends on the master link should have grooves in them that show through the capped end.. just slip the retainer clip back over one and slide it to clip it on the other, you can also use a screw driver to do this to make it easier... just BE CAREFUL.

Don Pflueger /

"It goes on either way, both of the ends on the master link should have grooves in them that show through the capped end.. just slip the retainer clip back over one and slide it to clip it on the other, you can also use a screw driver to do this to make it easier… just BE CAREFUL."

ummmmm hopefully you mean that the link itself can go on either way. the retainer is very important to put on correctly.

look at the retainer carefully. you will see that one side has kinda rounded edges while the other side has sharp square edges. the square edges must face out. now, when installing the retainer, put the rounded end in the direction of chain travel and the open end to the rear. if you do not do this, eventually the retainer will come off and you will lose the master link. not good at 30 mph.

THat's what i meant... Why do you keep picking on me? lol. This is like the 3rd post you've eiter said something condicending or repeated exactly what i said previously. If i did something, sorry... just lay off.

thanks don... the details on the square.round sides and info about the rear-facing direction of the open-end of the link really clarified it for me... I'm about to replace both the chains on my Newport for the first time.. the salt and sand and snow from the winter really did a number on them!

the rounded part of the master link must face the direction the chain travels. i.e. on a tomos counterclockwise.

Putting the masterlink clip on wrong could kill someone if the chain wraps around itself and locks up the wheels. Esspecially during a race.

Don Pflueger /

i'm not picking on you. just teaching the correct way it should be done. ive been a motorcycle and small engine mechanic for 15 years, so i like to help out and teach where ever i can. dont take it personally, i do this with everyone. i've got no problems with you at all.

Don Pflueger /

your welcome

Don Pflueger /

yep. well said john. it was one of the first things i learned setting up race bikes at the honda dealership.

Ok donp, thanks for explaining... No harm done i spose :). I do a lot of small engine work myself, so i tend to think people know as much as I do and I forget to cover all the bases. Thanks for filling in the blanks bud. :)

Don Pflueger /

your welcome. i've been doing it so long that its like second nature to catch things. i'm a fanatic about correctness in my shop. if its not perfect, i dont let it go. thats my name and reputation on every job.

Good philosophy and excelent work ethic. I hold a lot of respect for guys like you.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account