new points/condenser great spark BUT...

hi, all

i changed the points/condenser on my 1980 batavus starflite vaII (25mph carb). i'm getting great spark on a new plug.

i cleaned out the inside of the flywheel alot of garbage wedged onto the crease it looked like masking tape. i wouldn't doubt if that created my spark problems to begin with. i know shes getting gas too. i'm very sure of it because of some flooding in the carb when trying to start it. it burbed and wanted to a few times but i had to keep stoping.its hard to hold my clutch in for so long.I had but about a teaspoon of fuel premixed to prime it. i have everythin going i even belive the pionts are opening 2mm before top dead center.

Is it ok to spry engine start into the cylender? i want to try this but had to ask is that a "no,no" with moped? should i continue to try and prime it w/ a tspn. of fuel or what is a good can of "sstart" thanks, -tim

Re: new points/condenser great spark BUT...

Philip Arnold /

I've seen other threads that say people do it all the time. To start it with starter fluid wouldn't hurt it. Thats how you check to see if its getting gas.

pda

Don Pflueger /

if it wont fire gas, it has a problem somewhere. usually compression.

Don Pflueger /

starting fluid washes all lubrication from the cylinder walls. it fires so hot that it will melt the piston or burn a hole in it.

Dons absolutely correct you'll get no lubrication with starter fluid.I'ld use carb cleaning spray [not brake cleaner] the carb cleaner has some oil in it.Just use some though it doesn't have enough for sustained running just use it to get it going.

so the spark is good,but is the spark i'm getting enough is there somthing known as "your not getting enough spark" and would that bring me back to a breaker points issue.

if not i will look into what donp said about checking the compression -tim

Don Pflueger /

if the engine is unable to draw fuel from the carb, it has a bad seal somewhere. most likely a crankseal since the crancase is where vacuum is created to draw the fuel/air mix from the carb. carb cleaner is ok to use for a trouble shoot, but will was all lubricants from the cylinder walls too. dont use it to start the bike every time.

Don Pflueger /

it is possible to have spark but its a weak spark. how new is the plug? how did you gap the points? how did you measure the 2mm btdc? how much compression does it have? is the exhaust clean?

when i put the new set of points in they where closed of course. turning the flywheel clockwise and using a screwdriver in the spark plug hole with tape at each mm,when i reached tdc,i turned the flywheel counter clockwise 2mm and marked the flywheel. i made adjustment by losening 3 screw of the back plate keep checking for them to start open on that mark it took alot of time,maybe i was supposed to open the pionts a certain width first and then mark -2mm from tdc, i hope i'm getting enough of spark brand new plug -tim

should i start all over and do it again or since i have spark just make minor adjustments would the points open to much be an issue? what other trobleshooting is there on this issue thanks, -tim

Don Pflueger /

yes you do need to set them at a certain gap. ,014"-.016" is what i use. all you did was set the time that they open. the gap determines how long they stay open which then determines how much spark you will get.

thats my issue! will i have to adjust the back plate for this or just get the points adjusting screw and adjust thanks much,-tim

Don Pflueger /

just adjust the points screw, leave the backing plate where it is.

i have very good spark,the exhaust is clear the carb is looking clean and new the reed vacle opened when i blew through it..now i think with all the trying to start it after the loss of spark, and all the trying to start it after new point/cond the clutch is turning the engine long enough to get it to start

i dint know how to repair the clutch. can i start it by turning the flywheel with a speed tool onto the 17mm nut on the rotor? -tim

Don Pflueger /

yep you sure could

Squirt a little oil into the cylinder and then turn the engine over a few times before putting baCK THE SPARK PLUG. Now you're ready to use a little starting fluid to help start it,as long as you KNOW you're also getting some fuel mix. don-ohio (:^)

could you recomend a tool,how about an electric drill?

Don Pflueger /

that should work

Michael Vogt /

You could do is take the sparkplug out and clean it and then use a drill and spin the engine for about 1min than put the plug back in and try to start it.

after i spin the engine for i minute, ( new plug), should i use the choke, or just see what happens with just the throttle.

this did it! what effect does spinning it w/o the plug in do? i'm thinking it drew some fuel into the cylinder,priming the engine...it started right away

my big mistake was when it started it was rpm-ing so fast my nut came off the rotor,i need 1/4" drill adapting to 3/4" socket drive but ratchet style. so when it kicks over i wont have the 17mm nut flying off! -tim

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account