Re: Urban Express won't start

A. J. Souza /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Well. I have to thank (sincerely, wholeheartedly) all who have thus far contributed their opinions.

So far, I have consulted my former mechanic, who assures me that, in order to test the electric system (not run vehicle) any 12 volt moped battery is suitable.

I have spritzed (injected? dribbled? blah, blah) fuel into the spark plug port to attempt ignition.

Nothing.

Though, I admit, I did NOT do it the 20-30 times suggested might be required. Maybe 6-8 times. Didn't want to mess anything further.

Did not even get the "attempted rumble" I'd have hoped for.

I am glad that Jax 184 took time to comment that the bikes were similar, though not the "same." Important to know since I have a manual for the NC 50 and NA 50 and might be otherwise tempted to try those instructions.

I am puzzled about starting the bike: CAN the battery be dead (with no negative repercussions) and the bike still start with the kickstart mechanism as long as the brake cable is in the lock position? I figured this to be okay based upon the former two Hondas I rode (a NX50U Urban SR and a Aero 50), both of which had a locking latch on the left rear brake handle for starting. Even if the brake cable is frozen (as was mine), if I can still position the rear hub using a clamp on the cable (so, in effect, "faking" the bike into thinking that the cable is actually doing its job), would that safely be the same thing? At least as far as attempting to start, if not run, the bike?

So far, I have not had sufficient time or learning or confidence to go much farther.

So, please, don't be shy

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account