Frozen Piston (help!)

garelli eureka flex has been sitting in my garage for 15 years, i'm now working on it. Today i took off the cylinder head to find that there is a layer of black (carbon?) deposited uniformly inside the cylinder and on the piston.

What should i use to clean this off?

Re: Frozen Piston (help!)

a fine wire brush, or some really really fine steel wool will be fine. Just enough not to score the metal. Use mineral spirits, if that doesnt work, just use straight gasoline. Just be careful when using it, no sparks, no lit flames, no cigarettes. Soak it in the gas overnight and then in the morning you should be able to wipe it off

thanks danny! I'll give that a try tommorow.

You say frozen piston... Is the piston stuck in the cylinder?

It could be that the rings have rusted to the wall of the cylinder. If the piston is above the ports in the cylinder wall, stand the bike up so the top of the piston is horizontal, pour in a cup of diesel oil and let it sit for 3-4 days. Then place a block of wood on top of the piston and give it a whack with a hammer. If this does not work, see if you can get some KROIL penetrating oil at a car shop.

Courtis Fuller /

If the piston is stuck in the cylinder you can aim the motor up and poor some Marvel Mystery Oil over the piston, and in around 5 hours the piston should be free.

Good Luck,

Ben

that is precisely the plan ben. thanks for validating it. I'll give you guys feedback in a couple hours.

ohhh, by the way it sounded I thought you meant you had the piston seperate from the cylinder and were just trying to clean the carbon deposits off... sorry man. Go with the mystery oil.

yeah, sorry, i see what you're saying now, i'll try to be more descriptive and use pictures when i can. thanks for the help and attention though!

BTW, my dad said he'd help me bore out the cylinder back to it's original size, is this too much work? should i just clean it out instead?

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

You can bore it out and install larger piston and rings but first try to break it loose with Marvel Mystery Oil. It may work. What have you got to lose? Jim.

Courtis Fuller /

Oh... I missed silverfoxs reply, lol.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account