should you be getting spark when peddling

on a 1980 batavus moped, when i want to make sure its getting spark, i start peddling and as soon as i squeeze the clutch lever, i get spark. i am going to change the points and condenser now.but i wanted to find out shouldn't there be spark when peddling without squeezing the clutch- to keep the engine running?

so,continues spark from the magneto to the coil pack and onto the spark plug? no matter if the clutch is depressed or not? thanks, -tim

Re: should you be getting spark when peddling

Philip Arnold /

when you peddle without the clutch it isnt turning the motor so no clutch no spark. only continues to spark if running

thanks i got it! its just a crazy thing probably just me...but when i think of this what part of the ignition is saying;ok i'm running, keep sending spark to the spark plug.i know how it happens but is it the coil pack that countinues the whole firing process thankks -tim

Philip Arnold /

ok hope this kinda helps. as the flywheel turns a large number of reverses of magnetic flux is induced in the primary ignition armature. When the breaker points are closed, an in duced current flows in the ignition armarture of the magneto. So you have magnets that spin around and create power, it goes through a condenser to you ignition coil to your sparkplug.

pda

Courtis Fuller /

Good info.. I always kind of wondered how the Flywheel made electric.

Thanks,

Ben

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account