A35 transmission

Matt Permahos /

I recently had to take the right side cover off of my transmission so that I could fix the oil level hole. When I went to put it back on their was a bad grinding noise. I found out that the 1st gear is rubbing against the clutch and it has a lot of in and out movement. If I push the gear shaft in it does not rub but it will go back once I put the cover on. My question is should there be that much movement and why would the gears be hitting the clutch?

Thank You

Re: A35 transmission

Don Pflueger /

did you lose a shim or a clip somewhere?

Matt Permahos /

I dont know. Where are the shims supposed to be?

Don Pflueger /

i'm not sure it even has any. if so, at the ends of the shafts or between the gears.

Jeff Strahle /

there are no shims between the gears and clutches. the reason you think it is hitting is because when the side cover is off you can move the two speed gears back and forth. they aren't hitting in your tranny unless your bearings are extremely worn out and there is enough play to move the gears over like a qaurter inch to make them grind.

ok so i know this was a while ago but im having the same problem and my bearings are still good. Any other suggestions guys.

oh, i know the answer :P pick me pick me

donp has by far the best profile i have ever seen

so marc do you have any advice for real or are you just playing around w/ me. my gear hits on the clutch at once i put the clutch one, it pedals forward but then the gears pop out and hit the clutch which causes that clip to pop out making it not pedal any more :(

Ah, the good old tomos shim issues. Look at the scans of the spare parts manual which are posted at themopedjunkyard. Make sure all the shims are present and in the right place. To anyone who plans on opening a tomos transmission in the future, take note of where the shims were and make sure they are the same way when you put it back together, they are very important.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

ya the sims have to go back exactly where came from or else it will not work. somethign will hit something and you be to where you cant ride it

sounds like u blew a clutch

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account