Best way to clean out an exaust?

Xyplestop Florbledo /

Ok, what is the best way to clean out an exaust?

I know my Express had a weak/ wrong plug when I Got it. So I'm gueesing there probabaly a lot of carbon in the exaust.

So, whats good?

Re: Best way to clean out an exaust?

James Foster /

Express exhaust's are difficult to clean, unless you have the right solvents. Here is a list of the most potent ones:

"B-12 Chemi-tool Carburetor cleaner" can be found at any auto parts store or wal-mart.

"Deep Creep Multi-use cleaner" can be found at some auto parts stores and specialty places.

And if those just won't work, or you have really hard carbon deposits, buy some "Oven cleaner" from wal-mart or the grocery store.

A word of warning; Make sure to avoid inhaling, ingesting(kinda obvious), or getting these chemicals anywhere on you, _especially_ the oven cleaner. I would highly recommend using long rubber gloves, some eye protection, and wear some long work pants/shirt on. And do this in a well ventilated area, preferably outside on a spot where you won't mind nasty, oily grease and chemicals on.

Now that you're ready(hopefully), try spraying the chemicals(at different times, never combine different chemicals)into both open ends of the pipe, especially the tail end, shake it around a bit, and let it soak for a little while. Then, pour the stuff out of the pipe(do this by flipping the pipe over, cycling from one of the open ends, letting it drain, then flip it again, etc), blast some water through it, and drain that out well. Then either blast out the rest of the water with compressed air, or bolt the pipe on the bike and run it for awhile. It will smoke a lot at first, but run it for like 5-10 minutes, and it should blow the rest of it out the pipe.

Just make sure you are being safe with the chemicals you're using, and ride safely(hopefully a little faster now that you're pipe is cleaner). I shall wish you luck, and hope all goes well. :)

JF

Smitty Smith /

I also sometimes put the exhauast in a fire (again, be very careful!!!)

Xyplestop Florbledo /
tak OP

Thanks for the advice folks. Much appreciated!

James Foster /

No problem Tak, glad to help out. BTW, Smitty also has a good idea there, but you'll have to have some really hot coals to put it on. Personally, all I got out of doing that was a worse paint job on the pipe, but you never know. Now if you had access to a _really_ hot oven, then it might be more effective, but finding one that hot is a different matter...

Make sure and let us know if it helps the bike run any better. You'll know if the pipe is less restrictive if you hear "pop pop pop", instead of a more solid "hmmmmmmm" tone. And, hopefully you'll gain a few MPH in the process... ;)

Good luck,

JF

Thomas Middleditch /

Is there anything wrong with just going straight to the oven cleaner?

I use the oven cleaner before, work good, but I found to mix tide powder & purple power. I use this for everything. Might wanna try it. purple power can be gotten at autozone or walmart. cheers

dont put it in a oven which is used for cooking...

you may scrap the oven

g.b.

Thomas Middleditch /

By the way, what causes build up in your exhaust?

James Foster /

Build up happens when the unburnt oil from the engine doesn't all go out the pipe. Instead, a small amount sticks to the pipe, and eventually it'll build up and get burnt on there over time from the exhaust pipe's high heat. Usually, build up is seen the most on older pipes with lots of miles on them, or on newer pipes if the person mixes too much oil in the gas. Basically, if you're ped has a clean pipe, has the right oil/fuel ratio, and is tuned correctly, then you shouldn't have to worry about carbon build up for quite awhile... :)

JF

Xyplestop Florbledo /
tak OP

I wish i could use the burnout oven at school, but The teacher would have a coranary if I tried,

Perry Manessis /

Get a can of Easy-Off, spray it and let it sit for 2 hours. Hose it down and you will have a brand new pipe.

fill it up with MEK and let it sit over night it will clean it right out

Xyplestop Florbledo /
tak OP

MEK?

(MEK) methyethylketone

John Joedicke /

ya , good cancer causing stuff! Liberally apply to body and then inhale. I'd stay away from that method.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account