Any solution for a rusty tank?

Geoff Pawlikowski /

I've got a 1977 Negrini moped with a rusty gas tank that keeps clogging up my carb. Are there any products/methods out there that help with a rusty tank or should I just try to find a new tank?

Re: Any solution for a rusty tank?

Geoff Pawlikowski /

Yeah...I just found a bunch of old posts about the same topic. Sorry!

You can do the whole routine, but try this:

If the tank is not leaking, take it off the bike, empty it out and dry it. Wash with hot soapy water to get the oil out and dry it again. Then go down to the hardware store and get a box of 1/4-20 nuts. Pour them in and shake like you are making a martini. Empty them out and wash the tank out again. Re-mount and enjoy. The oil in the pre-mix will keep the tank from rusting any further. The rust came from condensation when the bike sat for some time.

Good luck.

The creatures have been conducting some experiments recently and have discovered that using a hose blasting water into the tank (which knocks off all the rust), then soaking overnight in vinegar, then soaking overnight in gas, then flushing works beautifully. We had some real horrorshow tanks, and they are beauties now. We're trying cola on another tank as I write. I'm sure someone will be aghast, but this is creature science at work, so back off. Bear in mind these are actual experiments we are testing here, not second hand news. The long term effects? hmm, who knows.

Perry Manessis /

Pull the tank off and take the petcok off, get yourself 2 gallons of White Vinegar and a couple of handfuls of coins. Put the coins in the tank, plug up the petcok hole, pour half a gallon of the vinegar into the tank. Shake it up like crazy for a few minutes. Then drain it and take all the coins out. Then fill it up completely with the vinegar and let it sit overnight. Clean your carb. and petcok. The following day, drain the tank. Pour a few cupfulls of fresh gas (not premix), shake it up to flush out the vinegar and then drain it out. Put the tank back on and your done.

has anyone tried CLR my grandma has a gallon she dont want so im going to try it

its supposed to take the rust off of car wheels and clean concrete im going to see if it will clean a rusty tank

muriatic acid, rocks, pour, shake, empty, flush, cream coat.

Geoff Pawlikowski /

thanks! i'm trying out the vinegar as i write this.

jason, i tryed the CLR, it worked, but it didnt give a wonderfull finish

g.b.

Hello,

I am in the process of cleaning my tank also. I'm using a three part solution that lceans and protects your tanks. its called Kreem. You can get ti at most motorcycle shopes. The first one is a cleaner solution that acutally disolves the rust and give the tank a gret appearance inside. Then there is a prep and a sealer that you use. This will make the inside of your tank clean and rust proof and if you have any small leaks it'll seal this too. Right now I have the solution etching overnight and its already showing signs of greying. Should be done by morning. This kit is about $30 but can do prety big tanks. Over 5 gallon tanks and car tanks.

The nuts thiung I'm sure works too. Actually on the bottles they say that if you have a large amount of rust to use nuts or stones first. I only has light surface rust and no flakes. So i jsut went to the etching.

Hope this helps

i dont care about the nice finish as long as it gets the shit out that clogs my carb

hey monster, what happened with the coca cola?

did it works as good as the vinegar?

i'll try the one you tell me is beter

thanks

g.b.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account