clutch slipped/broken?

okay so at first i thought my transmisson dropped, but i found out it wasnt that (i dont think) .. now i opened both sides of the crank case to find nothing wrong at all .. now im at a hault, i dont know what else to do..

incase you dont know what happened, i was drivin along and stopped at a red light .. as soon as i went to go take off, i did nothin but rev the engine up to high ass rpms .. i thought my chain popped but nah, that wasnt it .. so im thinkn the clutch slipped or broke but idk.. where is the clutch located? so i can check to see if that was it .. or does anyone know what happened? i am so confused on as to what has happened, i cant find anything wrong within the crank case .. thanks for help in advance ..

p.s. i can provide pics if needed

Re: clutch slipped/broken?

Matt Erdman /

and oh yeah, the bike is a 1999 tomos targa lx

Matt Erdman /

comon guys i really need help

Perry Manessis /

The clutches are located inside the clutch drum assembly, inside the tranny case. First check to see if the clutches are worn out, there should be a peep hole in the outter clutch drum. If they are worn out or broken, you will need to take the outter drum assemly off and replace them. You will need to keep the piston from turning. Pull the spark plug off, turn the flywheel to just before TDC and then put rope into the cylinder from the spark plug hole until the piston can't move up. Then unbolt the outter drum assembly and pull it off. The cork clutches wear out faster than real friction clutches.

Matt Erdman /

im not sure if its the clutches tho .. the bike just does not move when I rev it, but im lost wen it comes to the tranny case .. i can take pictures if you want .. i jus want it running again

Perry Manessis /

Don't be scared to tinker with it. It's a simple little moped, it's not like replacing a torque converter in a car's tranny. Fist, drain the tranny fluid, then pull the tranny cover off, it's only a few bolts. Look in through the peep holes of the outter clutch drum and see what's up with the clutches. There should be 2 sets, one for first gear and another set for second. Another thing that could have happend, is the outter drum assembly worked it's way loose. It's happend before.

Matt Erdman /

how can i stop the clutches from moving when i try to tighten them up?

Perry Manessis /

Once you unbolt the outer clutch drum, the clutch drum assembly simply slides right off of the crankshaft. The clutches are stationary on the clutche drum assembly, they dont spin. You can't tighten the clutches, they look like brake shoes and are held by springs. Did you open the tranny case yet? If you did, you would understand what I'm saying.

Matt Erdman /

i opened the case, and i see what your talking about, but the clutch moves when i try to unbolt it, and its really hard to unbolt without it moving .. can you be a little more specific, or IM me @ x3rdm4nx .. thanks

p.s. i can take pics for ya

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account