better off line with choke?

Matthew Libhart /

Here's something that's been bugging me for a while. I've got a '78 Maxi, 15mm carb, 80 jet, high flow air filter. Have a biturbo so my low end isn't what it was. The jet is correct, with an 82 I had a slighly moist plug, with a 78 there was almost no brown on the plug at all. 80 looks pretty good.

When I start off the line the acceleration is better if the choke is enganged. Is this normal? It sort of seems reasonable, that I'm giving the engine a burst of air, so it's better if there's a slightly richer mix in there to begin with.

If I don't have the choke engaged, it seems to bog down a little, but then picks up as I get moving. With choke on, no bogging. If this isn't normal, anyone have ideas.

Thanks again.

Re: better off line with choke?

Smitty Smith /

That's about typical for a Puch E50. They're not much off the line, but can really sing once they get going. I just built a 70cc E50, really high-performance, clocked by radar at 50mph (but fighting really bad wind gusts), but even it leaves something to be desired as far as take-off. One thing that does help though, is I installed a three-shoe clutch, and you can adjust it so the engine revs up before it fully engages, and this does give it better pull-off.

Matthew Libhart /

Thanks Smitty. I just wanted to run it by everyone to see if anyone thought this was really far off. I can live with it since the engine's behaving as expected.

About those clutches from MWH, do I really need the $20 clutch puller? I hate buying tools that I'm pretty much going to use once and never again. I think I could do the work, just wondering about this tool.

Thanks.

Smitty Smith /

I don't have one yet, but it'd probably make the job much easier. I know what you mean about buying something that you'll only use once, LOL. Your old clutch should have a woodruf key, but the new style doesn't.

Matthew Libhart /

One more question for you Smitty. When installing that new clutch, how difficult is it to have the proper gaps between everything. Do I need to have a full shop's supply of shims on hand to get it right? Thanks again.

With the bigger carb you cut down the vaccum so less fuel can be pulled up at low RPM. Once the engine gets turning the air moves faster through the carb and it can lift the fuel better out of the tube.

You can make a clutch puller. The two screw holes are 6mm and are 1.250 apart. Get a piece of 1/2 - 5/8 inch steel keystock about two inches long and drill two 6mm or close holes. Drill the center hole for a 5/16 inch bolt and put a nut between the shaft and the keystock when you bolt it to the clutch. Hold the nut with a wrench and turn the bolt and the clutch will pop off.

I made mine and threaded the center hole with a 5/16 - 18 tap, you have to drill the hole with a letter "F" drill. The nut will work if you do not have a thread tap.

Smitty Smith /

I used the stock shims, and everything lined-up perfectly. I do like to have a diagram handy, just to ensure that everything is put back in its proper order and location. The clutch nut has to be torqued to 20ftlbs.

Smitty Smith /

thanks there pepied, I'll be making me one of those pullers!!!

Matthew Libhart /

Yeah, thanks for the explanation too.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account